1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Dodge or not?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Time2getonHere, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Time2getonHere

Time2getonHere New Member

One dull site...at a time where everything is supposed to be moving to the Web, couldn't people get a little more creative/colorful at the least...and I guess I'll save anyone else from pointing out that it says "a experienced" instead of "an"

Description:
    The Dodge City (Kan.) Daily Globe is seeking a experienced, versatile sportswriter to cover area high schools, assist with covering Dodge City Community College and tackle general sports assigments. Previous news writing experience and a firm grasp of AP style are essential, as is the ability to meet daily deadlines. Photo and layout experience are pluses, but we will train the right candidate. The Globe offers a competitive salary, a full benefits package including health insurance and a 401(K) program, and a good working environment. Please send resume, including salary expectations, and three to five clips to Debbie Eddy, H/R Dept., c/o The Dodge City Daily Globe, PO Box 820, Dodge City, KS 67801.

2. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Can't say I've ever seen a web front without a photo ... and the lead story is about the "In the Know" column returning?

Yikes.

Regardless, to answer the inevitable question, the circulation seems to be around 9,700 --- at least from two years ago (couldn't find updated numbers).

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

So the wording for this makes it appear as if the Globe is finally hiring an assistant sports guy. Good thing but it should have occured to these nitwits a long time ago that you can't cover 20 high schools by yourself.

Heard it's hell to work there. Apply at your own risk.

4. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I have info if anybody wants it. PM me.

Also, the circ is down to about 6K now.

5. spud

spud Member

If Garden City is the gateway to hell, this place is the red carpet.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like just about everybody has gotten out of Dodge then.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well said.

8. reporter1

reporter1 Member

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Hey! I'm from Garden City!

(But you're right.)

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Let me get this straight. You critique this paper's Web site by saying it had no photos on the front page and the triumphant return of the "In The Know" column. Yet I have to find for myself the comedy gold that is the Tomorrow-in-the-Globe videos?

Come on man, help a sister out.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dodge City. A hoot 'n' holler of a place to be stranded for 5 days.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the phone calls.

"You only cover us when we get shot by Marshal Dillon!"

Draft saved Draft deleted