1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To degree or not to degree...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, Feb 25, 2008.

1. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Need a degree. This isn't 15 years ago. Most places require a degree now,so if you don't have a foot in the door already, it's over.

The other problem is if you ever choose to leave the profession, which most of us will, you won't get a look unless you have that degree.

That's just the way it is.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some say they would rather have their 20 years or so of experience rather than a degree. That may have been fine in the 80s or earlier, or even before the internet boom, but not now.

I'm sure 25 years as a writer, columnist or whatever would make a person qualified for many positions, but someone with two years of experience and no degree? That's a different story.

I just know without my degree I would be screwed. Scout.com wouldn't even hire me.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

most ads say a degree is required. send in great clips and show a solid background, and you'll get plenty of call-backs.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I can personally attest to Tom's statement, and can personally refute jfs's assertion. I made solid advancement in journalism and have had no trouble succeeding outside of it. If you can do the job, all other "requirements" are negotiable.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Once upon a midnight dreary, I labored with the assumption that hard work trumped all, that talent and drive and a shiny, overstuffed portfolio from a reputable paper would be more than enough to brush away the lack of a parchment with a gold seal in the corner. Hell, I was good. That was plenty good enough.

So much so, in fact, that when faced with the choice of quitting a part-time job at a good-sized paper that routinely gets feted on the board or staying in the college I had just transferred to, I dropped out of school. Way I figured, a 29-hour gig with regular bylines at a damn good publication would take me to a lot more places than a degree from a commuter school and a fistful of acceptable clips from a couple of college rags.

And I worked. I worked well above the 29 hours I got paid. I covered high school games immemorial. I flew the paper's flag at the occasional college game. I helped on auto racing coverage, including when NASCAR made their twice-yearly fly-by. I did features; some pedestrian, others that went in the centerpiece spot of the sports front, and one that was the cover of the entertainment section. I picked up assignments when people were sick or had emergencies to which they had to attend. I freelanced for when minor-league teams came our way and their papers were still interested enough to have someone on the ground there, even if it wasn't their guy. I learned agate. I LEARNED AGATE.

Then I applied to papers. Papers near and far, papers big and small, papers with stars on their bellies, papers with ... wait, what? Anyway, I dropped my resumes with nearly any paper that had an opening and a few that didn't.

The big papers in-state where I thought I'd be a natural fit because of my clips and my talent and my life spent in the region? No callbacks. The mid-sized papers that covered interesting things and propelled their good writers into the stratas of our industry? Nothing. Small papers that had fun beats, a reasonable chance for advancement or were just in a fun as hell place? The occasional form letter. The sum of three years spent as a professional part-timer and college ex-pat? A couple hundred bucks a week, my old bedroom at my mom's house, three job interviews and one offer of $15,000 a year for a one-man army job in the middle of frosted butt nowhere.

I didn't want to go back to college. I didn't learn much the first time I was there. I didn't understand why I had to scrape my way through biology and Spanish in order to be ordained as worthy to staff volleyball games for a living. I certainly didn't want to tack on a few more thou in debt for it, not if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately, it is. People just don't look at you the same way without a degree. It's not fair, and I'd love to change it, but if you want in on the next hand, you've got to abide by house rules. So if they want a degree ... sigh ... then I'll go get a degree.

Went back to school, quitting the part-time job shortly thereafter. Two years later (and 10 years after I started), I finally got a degree. Of course, I happen to walk into a freefalling job market and I waited six months before my first job, a place that oddly enough I probably COULD have gotten in without a degree.

But it's probably a good thing I graduated, because years later I finally made the other discovery -- I'm not really any good, and I damn sure wasn't as good as I thought I was when I was a 22-year-old self-described rising star. At some point your confidence is going to give way. And even if it doesn't, trying to get to a big paper without a degree in 2008 is like catching three bolts of lightning in a paper cup. It's just how it happens now. And you damn sure don't want to be testing these waters in ANY industry without a degree on which to fall back.

tl;dr summary: it sucks that you need a diploma, but you do, so do it already.

Draft saved Draft deleted