1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To degree or not to degree...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, Feb 25, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

And look at it this way: If someone without a degree is in the position to be considered for a supervisory position, that person obviously has something going for them above and beyond finishing college.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I do not have a degree, although I will in December. I don't believe you need one to be a good journalist, but it can't hurt.

I'm glad I decided to go back and finish. Feels like I'm accomplishing something. And I'm sure it'll make it easier when I go looking for that next job.

I would never tell someone they don't need a degree, though. If you have the chance to get it, by all means, get it.

That said, I wish I had the time and money to start my degree over. I'm sure I would not have chosen journalism.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ryan Sonner doesn't get a degree. Degrees get Ryan Sonner.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wow. Really?

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

To say that the pursuit of a degree is elitist today is odd. The ongoing transition from manufacturing to information means most jobs in the coming generation will come with an expectation of college-based skills and understanding. Why should journalism be any different? And with the blurring of the value of professional journalists from more base-level spewing, doesn't the degree demarcation point to the continuance of standards and trust in the product?

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm not saying pursuing a degree is elitist. I did more than my fair share of pursuing, just never reached the end of the line, for various reasons. I was referring to the idea that having a degree somehow makes you more qualified for certain positions than someone who does not have a degree. That is elitist.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Yes, all you had to do was wish and it would be so. Therefore the last 12 months have been a total waste.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I would never encourage anybody to quit college. I've never regretted my decision to do so.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The fact that many postings these days note in their requirements "bachelor's degree" indicates it has moved from "elitist" to "an unassailable fact."

10. pallister

pallister Guest

That doesn't mean it's right, piotr. I made a joke earlier about the applicant pool. But, seriously, in this day and age, with people leaving the business in droves, is it really smart for any paper to shut out potential candidates who have the requisite talent, desire and experience simply because they have no degree? Doesn't make much sense to me.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It may not directly, but imagine if you have to write a story that involves stuff you slept through in biology class or economics? Suppose the only gig you can get is as a health reporter? Wouldn't staying awake through biology help you in that regard?

Your argument sounds like the ages old "how am I ever going to use this in life" argument kids make when they don't want to take certain classes. My dad used to bitch about having to learn algebra when he was in high school. Guess what? When he became an RN, he had to use algebra all the time when he was figuring out dosages.

To do your job well, it usually takes a solid mix of education and experience. Sometimes your experience will give you an education. Sometimes your education will help your experience.

12. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Longtime reader, first post here.

I was young and, umm, misguided back in the college days, and I didn't get the degree. Still haunts me today, but only because it was a mission I failed to accomplish. It's never held me back in a job because, basically, editors and managers are always looking for someone who can get the job done.

I caught on with a good newspaper anyway, and I proved I had writing and editing skills. I taught myself layout and design, and that was my college. Because my lack of degree embarrassed me, and because I'm very competitive, I worked my ass off to get good, and then get better. After a while, I was as good as anyone. After that, I was the best in the newsroom, and I don't like to brag about that. It's just how it was.

I've been in good places and bad places, and some of the best writers and editors I've known didn't have degrees, either. But they were so great, and they were the ones who cared enough to teach me the finer points of this business, and the big stuff also.

Peter Jennings didn't have a degree. Nor did Mike Royko, I believe, and if there's anyone in this thread better than the great Mike Royko, please step forward now.

To the younger crowd here, I say get that degree. It will help you anywhere you go, especially if you want to cross over somewhere else, or maybe teach somewhere. I can't teach because I have no degree, and at this point I'd love to teach aspiring journalists. Especially in the New Frontier.

Conversely, to those of you who say you must have a degree in this biz, I say this:
    Go shit in your hat, elitist scum.

I lead a team in a Top 10 newspaper, and nobody ever asks me about where I went to school, or what courses I took. We're just trying to crank out the pages, and we do a damn good job of that. And I'm hanging pretty tough every night with that Mizzou grad next to me, and the Northwestern woman across the desk.

We don't ask about degrees here. We're just glad we all like each other and can get the job done these days in a terrible climate.

This ain't rocket science. It's newspapering. Help out a smart kid when you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted