1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To degree or not to degree...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll never say a degree doesn't help, because it does. but i've never thinned down the (resume) herd by looking to see if someone had one or not ... ever.

2. times38

times38 Member

I wound up getting a job at a bumfuck 3,300 circulation biweekly while on break from college and haven't gone back yet in almost four years. I've worked my way up to a slightly less bumfuck daily since then.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'd tell a kid to go to college, study philosophy or something as esoteric and shotgun as much Milwaukee's Best as your liver can stand. But make damned sure you're at the student-run daily by spring of your freshman year, and make damned sure they know you at the local daily.

A J-degree is not necessary, is all I'm sayin'.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Most important thing I learned in college was how much I don't know.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think they stopped teaching that several years ago.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have a degree, but it certainly isn't in journalism. I am where I am because of my level of experience within the business, beginning doing Friday night football and working up.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I was joking, tp.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

One of our part-timers is also a college student. He finished his associate's degree and is now at a four-year school. At some point during the transfer process he asked if we could hire him full-time. He was flat-out told by the sports editor and managing editor that he wouldn't be considered for full-time employment without a four-year degree.

The kid's wearing himself out trying to work (more than) 20 hours for us, plus go to school full-time... and we likely won't have a full-time opening to offer him when he finally graduates.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so what does that mean?

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

We've had other discussions on this in the past. I don't have a degree and it's never stopped me from getting a job, and I've changed jobs four times in the past eight years (moving to increasingly bigger papers).

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A college degree is a formality. It means you finished that geography class, you survived Spanish and you somehow woke up enough times for that stupid-ass biology lab to get a C out of it.

How does waking up in time to learn about fungi going to make you better at putting out a good sports section?

One of my SEs is by far the brightest guy on our staff. Super worker, super intelligent. The only one who doesn't have a degree. He was hired full-time before his last semester and didn't go back. Judging by some people on this thread, you'd be surprised that he actually gets to use the same water fountains as the rest of us.

A degree is only good to have in the eyes of interviewers too lazy to look deeper.

Draft saved Draft deleted