1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To degree or not to degree...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks. Because I was working full time and raising a family while getting my degree. But then I'm a blue blood elitist.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey, we all have our faults.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i soooo could give a shit if someone has a degree.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think the point is whether you or pallister is impressed, it's whether the folks add Add-A-Temp require one.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I got a degree in dick tricks and shotgunning bad beer.

Hasn't gotten me anywhere.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've hired many people who still are in this biz. i don't give a tinker's damn about degrees ... and yes, i have one.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if some 17-year-old came to you saying he wanted to be a journalist and asking if he should go to college you would say ....

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know the answer to that, but i counter with: i've never hired a 17-year-old.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe I don't understand the premise of this.

If some youngster were asking if he/she should go to college or not, it's a no-brainer.

If I had a chance to hire someone I wouldn't care much if they had a degree or not if they had the experience -- but my bosses might care.

And the younger they are, the more a lack of a degree stands out.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, Ace, all those points have been covered already.

So why are you limiting the applicant pool in this day and age, tp? Can you really afford that?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ace - i guess my point is i'd hire the person part time. i'd teach them what i know -- which admittedly isn't much -- and i'd give that person a chance at a full-time gig if they were good enough.

if that person got the job and became a kick-ass journalist, why shouldn't someone hire them as an SE?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

SE ain't rocket science. But there are plenty of people who have degrees who are in the job market.

Draft saved Draft deleted