1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To cx the quote or not cx the quote, that is the question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Aug 17, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

SportsJournalists.com has had threads recently about correcting/cleaning up a quote and about mistakes. Here's a hybrid post.

The Dallas Morning News Friday had a two-minute drill segment with center Andre Gurode, who recently filmed a Wendy's commercial. Here's part of it:

Q: Did you take any drama classes or participate in any school plays growing up?

A: I did take Shakespeare for Non-Majors. We did A Midnight Summer's Dream.

Emphasis added. Did Gurode mis speak? Was the title of the play really "A Midnight Summer's Dream" because it was in a class called Shakespeare for Non-Majors? How should this have been handled?

As an aside, a week or so ago, the DMN had an item about Earl Campbell visting training camp and talking with Cowboys coach Wade Phillips. The item mentioned that Campbell was a 1977 Heisman winner coached by Phillips' dad Bum. Who knew Bum Phillips coached the Longhorns?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A Midnight Summer's Dream is a play. He most likely didn't misspeak, voiding your claim.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so sure.

The more popular of the two is "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and not "A Midnight Summer's Dream" (which hardly makes sense as a title).

Through google, only one instance of a play version of "A Midnight Summer's Dream" came up (and it was a parody).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Midsummer_Night's_Dream
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Midsummer_Night%27s_Dream_%28disambiguation%29

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I would have asked the guy if he means A Midsummer Night's Dream, and if he said yes, I would have quoted him using the correct title. Otherwise I would have written "A Midnight's Summer Dream (sic)"

The sentence about Earl Campbell being coached by Bum Phillips was unclear, but not incorrect. Campbell was a Heisman winner and he was coached by Bum, just not in the same year.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The way it was written, it made it sound like Bum coached Earl at Texas. I didn't reproduce it word for word, sorry. The paper did run a correction/clarification.

Draft saved Draft deleted