1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'To combat sexual assault, colleges say yes to affirmative consent'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If you're thinking of the one from the UVA thread, it was "attempted forced kissing," not "unwanted attempted kissing." That's a meaningful distinction.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"In a memo that has now been signed by about 70 [American Law Institute] members, ... readers have been asked to consider the following scenario: 'Person A and Person B are on a date and walking down the street. Person A, feeling romantically and sexually attracted, timidly reaches out to hold B’s hand and feels a thrill as their hands touch. Person B does nothing, but six months later files a criminal complaint. Person A is guilty of ‘Criminal Sexual Contact’ under proposed Section 213.6(3)(a).'

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-regulating-sex.html?_r=0

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I realize you were making a point here. Assuming this scenario is a first-time sexual encounter, would you want your son having sex with a drunk woman he barely knew?

This is a fairly predictable negative outcome and why I have always told my kids to make wise choices.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Exactly my point - as is usually the case, we have lost our damn minds with way over the top, sweeping laws as opposed to common sense. And we've now changed the definition to the point where a guy trying to hold someone's hand on a date is now viewed in the same light as a guy who actually sexually assaults a woman.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, although he probably will. I have. It was fun.

And there's a huge difference between it being a less-than-honorable decision - for yourself - and a rape. The fact that we might find it an undesirable course of action doesn't justify criminalizing it.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

'Twould be nice if that were so ...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, it's a huge difference. But if the girl later says it was rape, doubt you'd want your son to go through a police investigation, trial, possible jail time and a life of registering as a sexual offender, even though it was fun.

9. doctorquant

L.M.A.O.

10. doctorquant

In these "later" scenarios ... i.e., weeks/months after the encounter ... I have to think you're going to see a lot more of the "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" strategy.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The right always brings it back to the Clintons.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Actually I have made it clear to all my boys to not engage in any contact without a signed consent form that is notarized and a videotaped testimonial from the girl - made with a lawyer present -- specifically saying that she is OK with (1) holding hands (2) kissing (3) petting (4) Oral sex (5) sexual intercourse and any other forms of contact that may take place in between the act of holding hands and fucking.

I then want these sent to the man-hating posse of feminazis who seem hell bent on proving that every act of sex between a man and woman is rape and see if they will approve of this act to happen.

Then and only then can they begin to engage in sexual activity of any type, from making eyes and holding hands and beyond......

Draft saved Draft deleted