1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Catch a Predator . . . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What? No love for Predator v. Alien?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Tell your one friend to stop huffing glue.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I never saw it and thought it was a dopey pairing. Predator should kick Alien's ass by all rights.

The planet eating machine from Star Trek would punk them both.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Am I a loser for wanting to name my first-born son Stone? I've always loved that name for a boy.

5. I watched Predator 2 when it first came out on VHS. I didn't make it all the way to the end and have made a point to never finish it. I really don't give a damn how it ends.

6. Widow

Widow New Member

That's a common misconception -- but what Dateline does isn't entrapment. Definition from www.lectlaw.com:

"ENTRAPMENT - A person is 'entrapped' when he is induced or persuaded by law enforcement officers or their agents to commit a crime that he had no previous intent to commit; and the law as a matter of policy forbids conviction in such a case.

However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the Government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime. For example, it is not entrapment for a Government agent to pretend to be someone else and to offer, either directly or through an informer or other decoy, to engage in an unlawful transaction with the person."

The group that does the "set-ups" is Perverted Justice, which isn't a law enforcement agency. They work with them, as decoys, which by definition isn't entrapment.

7. Don't know if this has been asked before but:
    How does Dateline get away with showing the faces of these men and ID'ing them?
    Cops doesn't show the faces of guys they arrest. All those World's Wildest Police video shows also blur the faces of the alleged criminals.
    How does Dateline work around it? Do the other shows err on the side of caution by not showing faces.
    Whereas Dateline Ids the accused by choice and hopes it doesn't get sued?

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

No, I don't believe Cops and Wildest Police Videos follow up on their "suspects" to see if they are in fact charged.

Dateline knows all the ones they show are charged with the crime, therefore they can show their faces.

I'm sure either a) they are charged shortly thereafter the filming or b) they hold the whole visit-to-the-house footage until they are sure the perverts are charged.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"I ain't got time to bleed."

"Oh....(fwoomph)....you got time to duck?"

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's not whether or not it's entrapment that bothers me. It's that Dateline makes itself a part of the story and rakes in profits by pretending to "care about the children."

Perverted Justice does these things with or without Dateline cameras there. Dateline does nothing to protect the children. It just profits off PJ's work and Hansen's smug ass.

Ah, who am I kidding ... it's been a long time since Dateline was about journalism.

And as far as Predator goes, it's 1 in a landslide. It's got two governors in it for crying out loud! Personally, I think Bill Duke, AKA "Mac," needs to run for office on a War on Crime type of platform.

[​IMG]

And AVP was cheesy, but had some cool stuff in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Wow. Well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted