1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To borrow a phrase that is too often used.......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

FUCK CANCER HARD.

All started about 4 years ago. Good friend for the better part of 30 years found out he had cancer the day after he retired.

Completely full of it.

They put him through the ringer. Biopsies, chemo, radiation, surgeries too numerous to count.

He would do well for a period of time......then it would all flare up again. They tell him 3 weeks ago that it's back in his lungs and spreading rapidly, shortly after telling him that they found 2 spots in his brain....1 the size of a dime, and 1 the size of a penny......

The family made the decision in the last day that they are done fighting it. Home hospice. They give him anywhere from 2-5 days.

I will forever remember this man for the way he fought this fucking disease tooth and nail. The only thing that has kept him alive for this length of time is his unwavering attitude.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, man. Cancer sucks.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That really sucks, Chef. I totally understand the pain.

My dad's cancer was discovered too late and he had little fight. Died about six months after the diagnosis. Seven years later, my grandfather succumbed to cancer that spread from lymph nodes to lungs to his brain. Yesterday our fears were confirmed when the results of lung biopsies returned a malignant diagnosis for my grandmother.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that man.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So sorry Chef. Been fortunate not to have been closely associated with this terrible disease too often. But just watched from afar as an acquaintance from HS lost his fight a few weeks ago at age 45. And lost a close family friend several years back after battling colon cancer twice. It always, always sucks.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Condolences to you and your friend.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Chef. Just lost my cousin this past Sept after she got it about 18 mos prior. For all the $$ in our world, we need to find some cure. Too many good people are lost.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Condolences. Cancer sucks.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

An update: He passed away peacefully this afternoon around 1:00 ct.
    It's sad to see him go, but at the same time, we're also relieved that he's no longer in any pain, and never has to be nervous about going to the doctor ever again.
    RIP

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

again.......to put in 64-point read it across the street font........FUCK CANCER HARD.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Chef. My condolences to you, his family and friends.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry Chef.

Draft saved Draft deleted