1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Beantown and Back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something spirited because I'm really nice guy if you get to know me. ;D ;D ;D

Also, working down here in SoFla so closely with everyone at the Herald, PB Post and Sun-Sentinel it tends to grate on you a little more, so I probably have a little negative bias toward Tribune right about now. And when I say I left newspapers, I mean that I am no longer attached to one full-time, but as a freelancer I still interact quite a bit with a number of different chains. (I know, I know. In that case I should keep my damn mouth shut for my own benefit).

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about the burden on the photog, because if he doesn't plant his heels against doing this sort of duty, then it's on him. No one would fault him for balking, and I doubt he'd put his job in jeopardy, no matter how rotten management is (that's just a nod to spnited there.) If, on the other hand, this is what turns his crank, go for it, however indulgent that is.

I don't care what he got paid for his day -- time-and-a-half after eight hours? Bully for him! Eight hours of straight pay, period? Uh, bad deal, friend-o.

I don't care whether management applauded this pluckiness and cost-savings (no hotel!) or began wringing its hands over the lack of a Saturday-night stayover discount.

I just think it's not especially inspired, and it's showboating to no particular end. The photos of the games were the photos of the games, whether he was shooting only one or two. Whether there were two shooters or only one. Any stuff from his own travels ... meh. Too bad he didn't jump in Lake Michigan and make it a triathlon.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Anyone think we'll see Part II tonight?

Bulls play in Boston at 7 p.m. eastern.
    Hawks play in Calgary at 9:30 p.m. eastern.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's fantastic because Average Joe can't go to both those games in one day. Here's the trip of a guy who did, with the photos to prove it. I want to see more of his pics and more commentary on the trip. Maybe after he gets up from his hospital bed, we'll get the expanded version.

5. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Really, isn't this just a novelty? Phil Collins did something like this 25 years ago -- and he crossed the ocean to play the drums before 100,000 people. The wear and tear on the photographer and the amount of work he did notwithstanding, in the final analysis, it was a gimmick, and the kind of thing newspaper companies get all tingly about these days. It'll look great in the employee newsletter, though -- if Tribune still has one.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I guess not since the main photo on their site right now is AP art.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/

7. Strazz11

Strazz11 New Member

Hey all! I figured I'd chime in and give some clarity to this thread.
    I am the Chicago Tribune photographer who shot the "Beantown and Back" feature.
    First off, it wasn't my idea but I quickly said yes when the idea was presented to me.
    Secondly, I had a wonderful time and was generously compensated for the 13 or so hours of overtime that I put in.
    The day wasn't that grueling. In fact it was very comparable to a normal day photographing an Olympics. I am 45 and am in training for the upcoming Chicago Marathon so maybe that helped a bit.
    I did shoot a ton of photos but in the digital age that is pretty normal for me. At most pro sporting events, i will bang off 2000 to 3000 frames. It is quite easy to edit the photos because I know where the good ones are before I even start looking at them.
    The audio bites were recorded by my camera and quickly transmitted back to the Trib Tower where we had several people throughout the day posting updates.
    I have been a photojournalist for 20+ years and I received more reader feedback on this assignment than almost anyone other one I have ever done.
    The hotel room cost wasn't a factor because my bosses make me sleep in my car on road trips anyway. OK, that's not true.
    Will wacky newspaper stunts like this save the industry? Probably not but it was a hell of an experience.

8. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

nice work ... it's amazing how out of touch with the readers some people can be.

Draft saved Draft deleted