1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Beantown and Back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Apr 20, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's the thing. His plane ticket probably cost 2-3 times as much to have a same-day return as it would have if they had sent a person out there separate and had him come back the next day.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When was the last time both Chicago winter teams were worth a crap at this time of year?

If he shoots a high school basketball game then hops a plane to shoot the Cubs at the Pirates, then there might be an issue.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Mid 90s.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agreed Elliotte.

I realize how bad things are in the newspaper biz this days but most of the people on this thread and the one about salary are just angry, bitter guys who hate everything about the business yet haven't managed to find a way to get out and do something "better" so they simply spend all their time bitching about how terrible their life in newspapers is.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Have you shot an NBA game and/or an NHL game? Try telling the photogs that isn't very strenuous, since they all don't necessarily just sit on their asses. I know at hockey games they move around to the different "holes" cut into the glass at each end and also shoot from up in the press box.

And your Boston Marathon comparison is completely apples to oranges. Those runners train for months in preparation for that race because they are professionals or love to run. I doubt they were assigned to do it. A healthier lifestyle has absolutely nothing to do with the absurdity of asking an employee to to put in that type of a work day -- unless it's an unusual event like a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, riot, shooting, etc.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Other than being an angry, bitter person in general, yes.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

With all due respect spirited, I got out of newspapers two years ago, but that doesn't mean I stopped caring about the industry and how the people still in it are getting treated, and this is another example of how management doesn't give a flying fuck.

93Devil,

If he's the only photographer on staff or one of like a three-man staff at a smaller paper and that's the only way to have original photos published from both games, then it might -- and I stress might -- make sense. But this is the fuckin' Chicago Tribune. I hope their photo staff hasn't been stripped that bare.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know Andy, I was just reaching for a double-duty day that might seem a little outlandish.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

For any of you to call me an angry, bitter person is totally absurd.

I have a good job in the only career I ever wanted. Been at it for 40 years. I make a very good salary... far more than my sister who has been in the travel industry for as long as I've been in newspapers.
    I'm very secure and happy in my life. I don't spend my time whining about how much I hate my job and the paltry sum I'm paid.

I might play the crotchety old man on this board but I guarantee you I am the least bitter, angry person to post on this thread or the salary thread.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Considering that you have absolutely no idea how the arrangement to do this was made, this is a silly post. For all you know the photog pitched the idea to management.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

No way, TSP. It has to be management fucking the peons again...as always.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I agree, word for word.

Draft saved Draft deleted