1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(To be) in Chicago for a conference ... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Mar 23, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If you're going to eat deep dish pizza on a visit to Chicago, don't come back.

2. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Yep

3. Rambler

Rambler Member

From a native: Lou Malnati's, Due's, Uno's. In that order.

That is all.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Subway is the way to go from Midway. Cab the six blocks, if you feel that way.

5. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I think I've narrowed it down some.

One more burning question. Our primary mode of transportation is going to be my feet, and the trains. My wife doesn't want to do buses. Thinks the lowering of the ramp for the wheelchair is too much of a spectacle and makes her feel self-conscious. She hates it.
    So, what are the boundaries I shouldn't cross? Say if I go past XXX Street, I need to turn around immediately?
    I know most of South Chicago is rough, and we're going to be pretty far from that being downtown and on the North Side, but I'm sure there's other bad neighborhoods around.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's put it this way.

The University of Chicago campus is gorgeous.

There's a circular area surrounding that campus that largely requires
    New Orleans-outside-the-Quarter care.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I've never tried but all my Chicago friends swear by Pequod's. Maybe they don't spread the word much and wanna save that for themselves?

I'm partial to Piece myself.

Guess neither of these spots are "downtown" or Loop but since I find the CTA quite easy to traverse they're not inconvenient to visit.

Draft saved Draft deleted