1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To all soccer snobs....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Dude ... I love the World Cup and like soccer overall, but damn right there are such things as soccer snobs. They're right up there with baseball pseudo-intellectuals as the most annoying sports fans on the planet.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The problem I have with soccer snobs is that their intentions never seem to be pure. They tell us that we should like soccer because of the beauty of the sport but in reality I fell their intentions are more neferious.

In reality those selling socccer want us to like it because the soccer world badly wants our money.

If the sport is so great it should sell itself.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Are twoback and crass asking you for money?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What's a huddle?

[/peytonmanning]

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've had Lugnut's "it" in my face so long, I'm now like boots, and I'm tiring of it. Time for me to move on.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You guys are missing the point, which has been, all along, that one guy from Sweden had a rat tail.

Seriously. A rat tail. In 2006. On television. In front of God and everybody.

Scout's honor.

7. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Here's a theory:

I like soccer personally, but I'm just leaving this for you to discuss

Maybe, we (by we, I mean Americans in generally) like to think of our heros as some kind of Superman? If you watch the movies or comic books, the heroes all have buldging biceps and veins sticking out of their necks. We think of some kind of powerful, allmighty Goliath.

That look described your average football, basketball and baseball player -- your 6-4, 200 pound mass of muscle and strength. But not you're average soccer player, who's 5-8, quick, fast, athletic as hell, but whos defense strategies seems more like run away than confront, and who'll never give you the feeling that an average man on the street shouldn't mess with in a fight.

I know I'm going mythical here, and perhaps, deep inside our psyche, we feel this way?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

if you could've worked in the rat tail, I'd be right with you.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I could think of 10 arguable arguments for the existence of soccer snobs before I would have come up with that one, Boom.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

We used to call them fag tags. Wonder if anybody but Ozzie Guillen could get away with using that term these days.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So if I suggest there is much to like about soccer, what the heck am I exactly getting out of it?

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Scorn and ridicule, mostly.

I'm just kidding. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted