1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To all soccer snobs....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 28, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Beckham's appeal is more than soccer. He's a pop culture icon because he's a pretty boy who married another quasi-celebrity and they give their kids weird names.

If LeBron marries a Spice Girl, his merchandise sales go through the roof. Guaranteed.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If LeBron marries a Spice Girl, people will say, "What, no one from Bananarama was available?"

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

LeBron wouldn't marry a Spice Girl - Have you seen Scary lately?

He'd marry a Pussycat Doll. Hi Poindexter! :D

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not really a soccer fan but the other day I ended up glancing at the TV in the waiting room at the consulate. It was the Italy-Australia game. And at the end I actually found myself caring about the outcome (pissed off about the cheap tripping call that led to the winning goal by the I-ties).

It's a cruel, cruel summer.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why, does she look.....

frightening?

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Five pages? Five pages of this shit?

Damn. Would you all please read what you've said?

Here's what I've got from this: Soccer is popular, even in this country. Is it as popular as the NFL, college football, college basketball, the NBA, MLB or NHL? No. It's not. And one week's worth of ratings don't prove that it is. At the same time, soccer is much more popular than many here want to admit or acknowledge. That's a fact. You put the shit in the paper, lots of people read it. You start a league, lots of people play. You put a decent match on your bar TV, people will watch.

You know the funny thing? The comments above have been made by both sides of the damn argument.

Shit, you're all basically agreeing, but you're so intent on arguing this shit that you don't realize it.

All that said, whoever posted that the World Cup has "by far" the greatest display of T&A is full of shit. You give me a camera and put me at any SEC football game in September and I'll match, from that one game, every photo you provide from this entire tourney.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Man, you are so proud of that thing, aren't ya? :D

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

9. poindexter

Damn you.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

man goes into restaurant.

He wants to eat steak.

Everyone else is eating fish.

Man gets angry that other people are eating fish.

"No one here likes fish," he says. "They should be eating steak."

Waiter comes by and he asks for a steak.

Waiter says, "Sorry, today we are serving fish."

Man demands fish, waiter declines, man gets mad, goes home and types into computer that people who like fish are assholes.

Many people respond and debate whether fish-eaters are assholes, or whether steak-man is asshole.

Meanwhile, in Eritrea, three-year-old boy dies of starvation never having tasted neither fish nor steak and unaware of the man's preference for steak.

11. poindexter

My cat's breath smells like cat food. [/ralphwiggum]

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have two of almost everything on my body.

Draft saved Draft deleted