1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To all soccer snobs....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 28, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, McDonald's and Gillette sell their stuff in practically every country. Their sponsorship decisions probably aren't primarily geared to the U.S. market in this case. Anyhoo...in short, soccer interest in this country is not as big as Crass would have you think, nor as tiny as Hondo would have you think.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nope, this poll has nothing to do with readership. Shit, this poll doesn't even state whether those polled read newspapers. It doesn't even state the percentage of those polled that own televisions!

Hondo, in desperate need to try and show that someone somewhere doesn't care will grasp at any straw.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I beg to differ. I have said it over and over again. Check the numbers of MFL matches versus NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL games shown nationally.

I have said all along that it isn't MLS numbers that are the most important. It was that people are watching something. You don't have two channels dedicated solely to soccer 24-hours a day because nobody cares.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If anyone merits that description, it is you. Has nothing to do with your thoughts on soccer.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Pastor, we all know that polls can be skewed one way or another. No one is doubting that.
    But your insistence that soccer is more popular in America than we think ... a fact or figure that can't be quantified or verified ... just isn't true. Want proof? Look at attendance at MLS soccer games. Look at attendance at high school or college soccer games. Do ratings for the World Cup outstrip the NHL or NBA? According to the story, they did, especially during the finals.
    Does that mean soccer is more popular in America than the NBA and NHL? Hardly, and I seriously doubt that you could provide proof of that other than TV ratings, which, like polls, are unreliable in many instances.

I played soccer in high school. As a result, I don't like soccer any more. I don't watch soccer and don't attend games. The very large majority of people I know don't watch soccer. Ergo, soccer is not that popular among the people I know.

That's a hell of a lot more reliable than TV ratings, polls or any evidence you might present.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Poor attempt (even for you) to legitimize your misogynistic leanings.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was in a BW3's in Yuma, Ariz., over the weekend when Mexico played Argentina. EVERY TV was tuned to the game. EACH AND EVERY one. And it was great. I've never watched a game with that many people, including World Series, Super Bowls, NCAA championships, in on place (save in person) as it was at that bar. And everyone was watching the game. Servers, bartenders, even my mom.

Granted, most were actual Mexicans who came over from the Baja side of the country to watch the game, but it was fun.

8. dooley_womack1

There are cable channels for every niche in this country. Two channels dedicated to soccer impresses me not at all. Tell you what, if Beckham merchandise ever outsells LeBron merchandise in the U.S., then you'd have a point. Otherwise, the world's sport is a niche sport here.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There is no event that remotely can boast the T&A talent in the stands that Mondial does.

Not even close.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/pgStory?contentId=5676192&pageNumber=2

Not safe for work... or the keyboard.

10. dooley_womack1

The 12th image must be a distant relative of cowgirl.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's pretty impressive.

But we still win.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Let me see if I got this straight: Americans do not like soccer because Alleyallen played it in high school.
    Is that what he was trying to say?

Draft saved Draft deleted