1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tnt cancels 'men of a certain age'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wanted to like Memphis Beat, but it was so bad. You start off not even filming there, you throw in a ludicrous premise (Jason Lee is a great detective), weak stories and the nagging feeling that this show is some kind of inside joke network programmers do.
    He's the best detective in Memphis, and he's an Elvis impersonator, and his colleagues are in awe of him as he solves domestic squabbles, barking dog complaints and duplicitous small business owners.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This was a show that I never got around to watch. I like the actors from their previous shows -- especially Brougher from Homicide -- but I never made the time to watch i

I guess I'll be able to download it off iTunes and watch it that way.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

That's absolutely right. Am I to infer from this decision that more people are actually watching "Memphis" than "Men," or is this just some sort of quirk of the network? Depressing either way.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I believe they think Jason Lee is a can't-miss as a quirky-character-carries-the-show after his "Earl" success. They'd rather create a Tommy Gavin than rely on good plot lines.

I believe they are wrong.

5. ..yet another show that fails to appreciate the true acting value of Andre Braugher.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I still gotta think it's a payroll / cost thing. According to TV By The Numbers, Memphis Beat and Hawthorne are both in the 0.6 to 0.7 range for adults 18 to 49. For what it's worth, repeats of Family Guy on Adult Swim, Tosh.0 and Teen Mom lead in the 1.4 to 1.7 range, followed by Deadliest Catch, White Collar and Covert Affairs above 1.0.

In contrast, it looks like Men was in the 0.4 range - below repeats of Storage Wars and South Park, Flipping Out and similar shows. Add up the low ratings, plus three fairly big-name guys, and that probably spelled doom for the show.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I would have been genuinely interested in a show about "Men of a Certain Age."
    I watched the pilot, and instead it was about "Losers of a Certain Age."
    One need not be broken to be interesting.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

They were broken? One owned a small business and was a scratch golfer, one managed a car dealership owned by his family and the other drifted by his whole life on good looks and charm.

I was thinking that maybe it was just the opposite.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It was a little of both. All had their demons; all had their successes. Therein lied the charm.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liked the show in the same way that I liked Friday Night Lights. These guys might have felt that they had "peaked" but still wanted more.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm like others on here, I love the show, when I watch it.
    Episodes will sit on my DVR for weeks, then I'll watch two or three in a row (I still have two episodes left from this season).
    It's probably because we watch TV as a family and while my wife and I enjoy Men, our 13-year-old son doesn't.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When I Grow up (To Be a Man) is one of TV's best threme songs

Draft saved Draft deleted