1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tnt cancels 'men of a certain age'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

What about one of the top 10 greatest shows ever made, Arrested Development?

2. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Damn. I always made time for Men of a Certain Age. Now there are maybe a few shows worth my time anywhere on TV.

At least Breaking Bad is still going strong. And in terms of "formula" shows, I still like Criminal Minds and NCIS.

3. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Whatever happened to TNT's Southland?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I really liked The Defenders. I'm pissed it was canceled.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, this was the worst news today. As someone approaching their age, I really appreciated the story lines and how they treated the issues those guys confronted. The three main characters changed and were not simple transparent one-note characters. Really wished my fellow Baby Boomers supported this show.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Another show that was canceled for cost reasons, first by NBC and then TNT, I believe. (At least, that was the scuttlebutt in one of Bill Carter's books on late night.)

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Southland is still in production. It was picked up by TNT and renewed for a fourth season (10 eps) in March.
    Blame Jay Leno for it getting sixed by NBC - it was a 10 p.m. show and was in production on its second season and was "cancelled" before the episodes were to air prior to moving to TNT.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Totally sucks. Great show. TNT screwed it by splitting up its season 2, although the ratings were never that great to begin with (although not sure how they'd improve by splitting the season into two parts). No way this goes to F/X, totally not that network's kind of show. Directv has indicated it isn't the market for saving shows. This one will disappear into the world of quality TV shows taken off the air much too early.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing that cast was very expensive. I'm sure that was a factor.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

This blows. The next season was set up nicely with the senior tour, the potential directing career and the dealership issues.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

FX screwed the pooch on Terriers, but at least it gave it a dignified sendoff. Bar none one of the best single seasons of TV I have.seen.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I always thought Men of a Certain Age was a good show, but not one I was going to make appointment viewing. I'd DVR it and sometimes get to it, sometimes not. Certainly a second-tier show to me (and that's not a bad thing.)

Draft saved Draft deleted