1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TNR: 'Don't Send Your Kids to the Ivy League'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My admittedly biased take on U of Chicago. ... It *is* where fun goes to die. It's in a crummy part of Chicago to spend four years at that age. And it misses in the traditions a lot of schools as prestigious give you. If you can get into University of Chicago, you can likely get into a mid tier Ivy or better. And with the Ivy League school, you are going to get a bucolic (maybe not Columbia or UPenn, but they offer a ton of tradition in other ways) setting @ a school that doesn't suffer from what someone pointed out -- the typical bloke doesn't know the University of Chicago.

Grad school is a different story for me, though. There are a ton of disciplines that University of Chicago excels in. When you are seeking a PhD in economics or an MBA or a law degree, if you can weasel your way into University of Chicago, it should be pretty high on your list.

One of my sisters' kids just finished his freshman year at one of the Ivies. When he was doing his applications, he was pretty high on University of Chicago, and it was killing me inside, because I thought it would be a mistake. But I tried to temper my advice, because I didn't want him to choose there and head off with my voice in his head shitting on the place. Thankfully, he applied early decision to to the school he ended up going to (better choice in opinion), and made University of Chicago his early action choice.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm biased, too. And I didn't go to undergrad there. But I have friends who did. And I spent enough time around the university at large to get the gist. I think that, in some ways, it would be a "crummy" way to spend your age 18-22 years, at least for some people. Would have been for me.

But in other ways, it would be a transformative experience for someone that age, in a very, very good way. Unlike its peers, which have become the Goldman Sachs farm system, there is a commitment there to ideas and intellectual flowering. The friends I know who went there have a worldiness and thoughtfulness about them that is genuine, not manufactured like the Ivy grads the author of the TNR piece wrote about.

The lack of Division I sports there also makes it unique, both good and bad, as far as the experience goes. (I do think, from a purely academic seriousness standpoint, it elevates the university.)

Anyway, enough of my Chicago soap box. There are plusses and minuses to it.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Growing up, I always/only thought of University of Chicago as a grad school. That's definitely where it's gained its reputation.

But, I've spent some time there over the last few years, and I think it's pretty nice. It's campus isn't as urban as an NYU or BU, and it's actually got some pretty nice parts.

But, you've still got a great city right at your doorstep. I think it could be viewed as a best of both words type of situation.

I guess one thing it doesn't have going for it is that the CTA is not close. At Northwestern or Boston College, you're just a transit ride away from Chicago and Boston respectively, from your largely suburban campus.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds like ugly chicks.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have not been disappointed when on campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted