1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 22, 2009.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

You read this shit ... and you read the description of the OC Register "baseball writer" opening on the Jobs board and you just want to barf.

2. Wife and I were talking about this today and trying to come up with athletes who actually would register with the celebrity gossip target audience.

Derek Jeter
    A-Rod
    Kobe Bryant
    Shaq
    LeBron James
    Tiger Woods
    Tom Brady
    Michael Phelps
    Maybe Dwyane Wade?
    Maybe Phil Mickelson?

Very, very short list, that's for sure. Just don't see people caring because Roy Halladay went to Starbucks or Deron Williams stopped for gas and a Diet Coke.

Plus, doesn't Deadspin already have this market kind of cornered?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The issue might be less who the athlete is than what he or she is doing that's especially salacious. 99 percent of the stuff in the celeb rags or TMZ is about people who are hardly at the top of their fame. Especially if athletes interact with entertainers, that would bring in a whole new crowd of readers. For example, millions of people who never heard of Mike Fisher yesterday are suddenly interested if he's reported to be treating Carrie Underwood like shit.

4. Two more:

Reggie Bush
    Tony Romo

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

EXTREMELY well played. :D

Wonder if anybody has ever asked Hank what it's like to be nailing a pathetic geezer's sloppy seconds. Because, let's face it - Hugh Hefner is a pathetic geezer whose actual relevance ended long, long ago.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I agree with this. TMZ wouldn't normally cover Chris Henry, but they sure did it last week. They wouldn't normally cover Lamar Odom, but they sure do now that he's married to a Kardashian (barf). Again, they must have a pretty good idea about how this new venture will fare - the web hits on their sports "stories" must have been significant.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any felony (DUI, bar fight, spousal abuse, drug possession, handgun, etc...) by any current pro athlete will probably be on there. Leonard Little would have been a household name if this was around 10 years ago.

Maybe a weekly Calvin Murphy 13 by 11 type of baby daddy story?

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Two more:

Chad Kreuter
    Chan Ho Park

http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/23/chan-ho-park-chad-kreuter-pitcher-catcher-los-angeles-dodgers-phillies-philadelphia-baseball-lawsuit/

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

This is interesting, because on the infamous "Tiger Woods in car accident" thread, somebody posted this link about how the tabloids with Tiger on the cover actually didn't sell all that well after a week or so and some inside sources claim that blacks don't sell as well in the tabloids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-shuter/tiger-dumped-because-hes_b_396059.html

So considering most of the NFL and NBA is black ..........

Also, I think many athletes cross over the mainstream celebrity line only because of who they are linked with. No TMZ reader gave a shit about Lamar Odom until he married a Kardashian. So that's what makes him relevant, not the fact that he is an NBA player. If he wasn't linked to her, I doubt many tabloid readers would even know who he is.

I think it has huge potential for when something big happens --- look at how much exposure TMZ has had in the last few weeks since the Tiger stuff broke. But I only see it being big when big stuff happens to big athletes (which will always happen of course, but I think there will be some serious downtime in between).

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The ill-fated laughingstock of a show ESPN Hollywood had a daily segment called "The Daily Dish" that featured light gossip about sports stars. It was the only part of the show that rated -- which is why it was spun off into a column on ESPN.COM that later morphed into a number of different columns and TV segments. Best Damned Sports Show Period had a similar twice-weekly segment. Ben Maller, Deadspin and the Las Vegas Review Journal's Norm Clarke all have lots of sports gossip.

Guys are into sports gossip. Don't kid yourself that they're not.

Oh, and btw, when I worked at the ENQ the only blacks that could make the cover were Oprah, OJ and Whitney.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mitch Albom weighs in on TMZ Sports and oh the irony ...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091227/COL01/912270470/1355/SPORTS/Theres-nothing-sporting-about-reporting-gossip-as-news&template=fullarticle

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Slappy's jaw just dropped through the floor, and he doesn't know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted