1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 22, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tebow, that is outstanding.

"What really bothers me is this you pretend you're this deep guy who loves serious literature when all you do is watch TMZ. Yeah, I love celebrity gossip, but at least I'm honest about it."

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Haha. "Whose leg do you have to hump around here to get a decent paparazzi shot of Tiger Woods?"

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Get a room, you two. And I'll tip off TMZ

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about TMZ is that they wouldn't deal with public relations staff anyway. Their people stalk people who are eating dinner, shopping, at a nightclub etc. TMZ probably won't be at the stadium, but will get a tipoff about where players are celebrating a victory after a game, maybe hang out in hotel lobbies to see who walks in with players, etc.
    The point about whether athletes are celebrities is a good one. Don't know how many times I've read a news report from the Hot Stove League in the last month because I wasn't familiar with the last name referenced in the web headline. There are maybe 20 baseball players active today who the average sports fan could ID outside of their baseball gear. Same goes for football and golf. Hoops might be a little more since they're not wearing hats or helmets. The point is - don't know how the TMZ sports staff is going to go about IDing a middle reliever or strong safety.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but they alreadyy spend most of their time on the regular show chasing after Hollywood's middle relievers and strong safeties. "Hey it's Ethan Suplee from My Name Is Earl at the airport! Ethan, what are you doing now that Earl has been canceled?" They'll have just as easy a time tracking down Alan Embree and Adrian Wilson.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

After reading this thread, I thought of Hank Baskett, he of two catches this season. One for the Eagles, one for the Colts.

I did a Google search, and 17 hours ago, this link was posted on MTV.com:
    http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2009/12/22/kendra-and-hank-baskett-have-a-snow-day-and-jordin-sparks-turns-20-in-todays-tweet-dreams/

This type of crap does have an audience. As a pretty big fan of the NFL, I wasn't even sure Baskett was still on a roster. Yet he is known to many people because he married one of Hef's castoffs from the Girls Next Door.

I don't really have a point here. Just found it interesting that there was a "news" story about Baskett having a snowball fight with his Playboy bunny wife posted within the last 24 hours. Why would people care? I don't know, but they do.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Harvey Levin is gay. If he wanted to out people in Hollywood it probably wouldn't take much research.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

While I have no doubt you are correct, it's amazing how low down the celebrity ladder the actual stalking will go.

My former boss' daughter is an actress. He went to visit her. At the time she was the star of a show on the WB or UPN or some other network. Semi-recognizable, but not Jennifer Aniston-esque.

They were going to meet her boyfriend for lunch. She was dating some actor I had never heard of. As my boss and his daughter pulled out of her driveway to go meet the guy, the paparazzi immediately swooped alongside. She explained that the gossip rags had heard that she and the actor were dating, and there was some kind of bounty for a photo of them together.

They gunned it around a corner and hid in a driveway as the paparazzi drove past. Apparently she had been dealing with that a lot.

For the life of me, I don't understand the market for a photo of an actress from a critically acclaimed but unwatched show eating lunch with an actor I've never heard of.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good point.

Not that Kendra Wilkinson should be known for anything either. Girls Next Door? Why not just tell the truth and call it Self-Absorbed Whores On Parade?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't see this being a success and not for the reasons most have mentioned.

Only so many of the athletes are in Los Angeles and New York. I don't really see TMZ hiring reporters around the country, which they would have to do if they were to do this right. Do you dispatch a reporter to Orlando to watch Tiger 24-7? What about Cleveland and LeBron James? What about Minneapolis and Brett Favre? Peyton Manning in Indy? Yeah, you can watch Kobe and Jeter and A-Rod, but athletes are way more spread out than actors, who are typically in one of two cities.

Also, as I mentioned before, there are maybe 10-20 athletes who can garner big-time interest from people who aren't big sports fans and a lot of the athletes who can garner than interest are retired (Agassi, Jordan, Bonds...)

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had never heard of her until Mrs. OOP and I flipped by her reality show. For a moment, I thought it was Jenna Jameson with even more plastic surgery.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, yeah, the celebrity wattage, as low as it is, is not because anyone gives a crap about Hank Baskett.

I happen to be following this "story" because the Baskett/Sperm Baskett clan is now living a few miles from my mother. I saw stories about how US Weekly dispatched 12 reporters, photograhers and whomevers to Carmel, Ind. to follow... whatever the hell there is to follow. Then again, I can't imagine any non-Hank Baskett athlete opening their home and life to the level that pseudo-celebs like Kendra do, though TMZSports will probably prove me wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted