1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ: Owen Wilson hospitalized

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rufino, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Sam Jackson visits Owen Wilson: http://www.splashnewsonline.com/2007/08/27/samuel-l-jackson-visits-owen-wilson/

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Suddenly that whole depression scene in Wedding Crashers isn't so funny. Especially the "I'm hanging by a thread, I'm reading don't-kill-myself books" line.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Ask Kurt Cobain and Elliott Smith about the whole "famous people don't commit suicide" thing.
    Best of luck for Owen Wilson...he comes across in movies as an easygoing, likeable guy. And he's had the good sense to stick with the Wes Anderson crew.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Well said.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think many celebrities are messed up because their 'messedupness' is what drove them to seek celebrity. Wanting the whole world to care about everything you do - who you date, what you eat, etc. - indicates a need for validation at desperate levels.

6. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

As opposed to this site, where compassion and human decency are the hallmarks of these kinds of threads. I hope he pulls through and finds happiness.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

A little new info: http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2007/08/extra_exclusive_owen_wilson_di.php

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

First, I have always thought he has impeccable comic timing as the friend that many of us would feel really happy to be hanging with. And, without a single laugh line, he was tremendous in Behind Enemy Lines.

Second, I couldn't begin to imagine being in public knowing that everyone is looking at me.

Third ...

Richard Cory
    by Edwin Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
    We people on the pavement looked at him:
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean favored and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked,
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich--yes, richer than a king--
    And admirably schooled in every grace:
    In fine, we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat and cursed the bread;
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet through his head.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I wish her the best, and I'm sure glad she's not famous enough to be known to this board. They'd be ripping her for her cooking or calling her names.

Honestly, for a group of people who know better than most that famous people are just regular people, some of the comments here are pretty sad. "I always thought that guy sucked at his job." Really? That's your first thought when you hear a person tried to take his own life? Wow.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Arnold, I agree that Mizzou went overboard on his comments, and came off like a prick (not for the first time, either). But I don't have any problem with someone saying they don't think Owen Wilson is a good actor. Just because it was written here doesn't mean it was the first thought in the poster's head. It's just a comment on a public message board. I'm pretty sure Owen Wilson isn't reading this thread, and if he is, something tells me an anonymous jackass saying he sucks isn't going to make things worse. Just like the folks who rush to write "thoughts and prayers" on threads about public tragedies (celebrity dying, story about a kid in a far-flung place having Cancer) are doing nothing but soothing their own consciences, and at worst, massaging their own egos with the "I'm a good person, look at my reaction to a stranger's pain" stuff. Just a Web site.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Totally agree about the impact of our little world here, and I am not one of the guys who feels the need to say "thoughts and prayers" or even "RIP," but there's a certain callous inhumanity at play when a thread about a person attempting to take their own life turns into an opportunity to dissect the guy's work. I mean, I won't try to convince anyone that "The Big Bounce" was a fine piece of work. Yeah, it blew. But seriously, when a person hits a point in their life that they decide it's best to end it, my heart goes out to them and their family in a big way and I feel for them as a human being. ... Or maybe I'm just a pussy.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I always liked Owen Wilson. I thought he was great in Meet the Parents, Life Aquatic and Royal Tenenbaums.

He was nominated for an Oscar for the latter -- best screenplay. Does anyone else remember that in that move the character Luke plays tries to kill himself by slitting his wrists?

Draft saved Draft deleted