1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ is the most trusted name in news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by poindexter, Jan 27, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not only did TMZ have the Kobe news at least a half hour before anyone else, more importantly, they got it right.

I got a TMZ screengrab text way before anyone else was reporting it, and if you are like me, as soon as you see TMZ, you are pretty confident in the story. And of course, as the day went on, ABC News and all of the local stations in La shit the bed as they reported the story.

2. poindexter

How did we get to this point?

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Except they didn't get it right. The only aspects they nailed were that there was a helicopter crash and that Kobe Bryant died in it.

They got all other salient points wrong.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

TMZ didn’t get everything right. It got some things right and suffered no consequences for what it got wrong because TMZ is not held to any particular standard by its consumers.

We got to this point because TMZ is a place anonymous sources can go to dish about celebrities, and the Internet makes it possible for said outlets to report things right away.

TV stations, even in LA, are not staffed by uniformly elite, fast-thinking reporters on a Sunday morning. TMZ can make its calls to local authorities (or agents) and make progress while those reporters have to be right about whatever they report.

Dog8Cats and Tweener like this.
  5. poindexter

This is what I received via text at 11:27 a.m. Pacific yesterday 56835.png

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

TMZ pays too, correct? So if you're a first responder and you know you're dealing with the death of someone of that magnitude, it's not hard to see how that be tempting to call it in and make some cash. And people know they pay. I've always heard that it's a known thing.

Tweener likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You'd think Deadspinners 2.0 would've been all over this.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How would that conversation go, exactly?

First responder: "I know something you don't know!"

TMZ: "What is it?"

First responder: "Mega celebrity dies in helicopter crash."

TMZ: "Who?"

First responder: "How much?"

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How TMZ gets all those scoops
    upload_2020-1-27_10-14-41.png

10. poindexter

First responders in Los Angeles get paid and have benefits that would make Goldman Sachs executives blush. So I guess that the extra thousand they get from TMZ is something, but not in the larger picture.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Imagine how people would melt down if ESPN paid $10,000 to an LA County Sheriff source to get the Kobe info 10 mins before everyone else. ESPN certainly has more money than TMZ. Why not compete on the same turf?

Because the most basic premise in news gathering ought to be you don’t pay sources for info.

Any discussion about why TMZ gets this stuff starts and ends there. There is really no point in debating it further without debating that as the only part that matters.

Dog8Cats and garrow like this.
  12. poindexter

Draft saved Draft deleted