1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMQ smears Walter Payton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Knighthawk, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Either I've lost my memory, or Gregg Easterbrook just did something really slimy.

Can anyone find a source of Brown ever saying anything like that about Payton? Harris, yes, but I remember him as saying that Payton was worthy of the record.

Besides, on what planet was Payton dragging out his career when he broke Brown's record? He had 2,000 total yards and double-digit touchdowns that year and the next year. He helped drag the Bears to a Super Bowl that second season.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Them's fightin' words.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From what I found online, Brown had no problem with Payton overtaking him in the record books due to his physical running style.

I think Mr. Easterbrook is mistaken here.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then when he got to the Super Bowl, that shitheel Mike Ditka wouldn't give him the ball on the goal line to score a TD. Instead, Fatboy Perry got to score on the gimmick play.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You mean somewhere in his 7,000-word weekly dissertation, Easterbrook, who is to sports writing what RokSki is to message board posts, might have made a mistake? And an ESPN.com "copy editor" failed to check it or catch it?

The hell you say, sir.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I like Easterbrook.

I think Payton is the greatest runner of all time.

Easterbrook is way off base here.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Why would Jim Brown care if anyone broke his career rushing record? He retired at the peak of his career, only about 30-31 years old at the time, to become an actor. He could have played 5-6 more seasons easily and approached 20,000 yards. Brown left the game early, so if he really cared about that mark, he should have hung around a few more years to really put it out of reach.

Clearly, Jim Brown the greatest RB who ever lived.

8. spud

spud Member

How someone reads that entire meandering rambling of his every week is beyond me.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Brown had a spell in the 80s where he was pretty much saying anything.

Brown's passer rating is shit compared to Walter's

I need to type that twice because it needs both colors...

Brown's passer rating is shit compared to Walter's.

Payton #1. Sorry Jim, but you left your team high and dry. That has to hurt the all-time rating some.

Brown is still the greatest athlete who ever lived, though.

Bo Jackson is #2.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bo is said to be faster than Brown, and he was a two-sport professional all-star. Yes, generational bias here, but I think you almost have to give it to Bo. Brown never played another sport on a professional level, not to my knowledge.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If there had been professional lacrosse, I'm sure Brown could have.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Of course, Doc. But there wasn't. And he didn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted