1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMQ: Playing the (wrong) race card...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Knighthawk, Dec 4, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't agree with calling an African-American fan "boy" but I've been on a few NFL sidelines, and I've heard players call officials every name in the book, usually modified with the words "M-f'er."

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't know if this was changed, but I never saw that paragraph as you posted, Knighthawk. What I read, and what is currently up is this:

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, I printed it off yesterday around lunchtime for my bathroom reading. Here is what it said, with the changed parts in bold:

"Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle said after the game that head linesman Phil McKinnely repeatedly called him "boy" in the game's closing minutes, a racial insult when spoken by a white person to an African-American. From the sound of things, Rolle was jawing with McKinnely, which even a veteran player such as Rolle should not do. But officials should never jaw with or insult players, either. If McKinnely (who is African-American) did use a racial insult against Rolle, during the same game-deciding moments when the officials were favoring New England (so far, McKinnely has not commented on this), that would have been highly unprofessional and would call into question whether the officiating crew was neutral.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, it was definitely changed. I read it as originally posted, and it clearly led you to believe the ref was white. What is up with Page 2 always playing the race card? It seems like 50% of the stories there are on the topic.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

"(who is African-American)" did not appear in the original version of the story, and "a racial insult when spoken by a white person to an African-American" has been deleted from the first sentence you quoted.

Obviously, those two edits completely change the tone of the paragraph.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm afraid just because you say something is one way doesn't automatically make it so.

I find it hard to grasp that concept, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted