1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMQ: Playing the (wrong) race card...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Knighthawk, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

This was part of Easterbrook's latest anti-Patriots diatribe - he's claiming that the officials were biased in favor of New England on Monday night.

Only one problem: Phil McKinnely is African-American.

Luckily for Easterbrook's career, it is pretty clear that ESPN isn't going to hold him accountable for anything he writes.

(Also, it's probable that 90% of the people who even tried to read this week's TMQ fell asleep during the endless pro-BCS essay at the start of the article. Has Easterbrook ever watched a college football game? He claims that under the old system, instead of a "monster game" like OSU-LSU, "Ohio State might be playing Arkansas". When did Arkansas join the Pac 10?)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know about racism, but I don't know anyone named Rolle who is worth a damn.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You keep pounding on away on Greggy, and soon enough you'll get him!!

Meanwhile, every other commentator, including those who just finished on PTI, will weigh in on the "boy" comment.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

[​IMG]

She takes offense to that.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Rick Maese chimed in on the same subject today btw.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why does the official's race matter?

Calling a grown man "boy," especially a black man, is insulting and racist.

It also shows a tremendous lack of respect.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm not sure I understand how a black man can be racist towards another black man.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

McKinnely is 53 years old. Rolle is 31, and was mouthing off, yelling "you never played the game" to McKinnely, who, of course, actually did.

To McKinnely, Rolle is indeed a "boy."

Respective race, of course, does matter. If McKinnely was a 53-year-old WHITE guy calling Rolle a "boy," the fire drill would definitely be on, and rightly so. He's not, so it's a non-issue.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yep. And it was OK for Isiah Thomas to call Anucha Browne-Sanders a bitch, because they both are black. ::)

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

solid play, joe king

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Thank you. I particularly enjoyed getting Gene Rayburn in as a bonus.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So it's racist for a black man to call another black man "boy," even if they are 22 years apart?

Ohhhh kayyyy

Draft saved Draft deleted