1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMJ ... the thread formerly known as "Wisdom teeth"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention the latest extraction. I had an upper wisdom tooth removed last July. Novocaine numbed my entire mouth, except, apparently, the tooth in question. I felt every last tug, including the spindly nerve being ripped from its socket. When I told the dentist I could still feel it, he gave me two additional shots -- to no avail. But he was too far along to quit. I did indeed cry. I think spup might have heard me scream all the way in the waiting room when the nerve came out. And no pain medication. :mad:

2. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Grinding teeth while sleeping, huh? I call Bull. I think you've been over-servicing all those soccer coaches trying to get back in their good graces as you've returned to the beat.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My evil mother scheduled for my wisdom teeth to be removed two days before New Year's my freshman year of college, specifically so I couldn't drink on New Year's Eve.

It was no biggie for me, I've had a ton of dental and orthodontal work done, but I went with my then-boyfriend a few months later when he got his out. The idiot was a smoker and lit up when he was still loopy from the drugs. He got something like dry sockets, which became incredibly painful.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

This ranks pretty far up on the 'levels of idiocy' in my book. :)

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Your mother has some bitchy tendencies. That is all.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ahhh. You sound like the asymmetrical hair chick I knew in college.

Wait, was it you, Cadet, that spurred that reverie by me because you mentioned a messed-up haircut? Can't remember. :)

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm going to record just one of your phone conversations with a bat and ball coach so you can hear the slurping at your desk. :D

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I was lucky and had only two wisdom teeth grow in, hence only two needed to be removed. One of my friends from high school, however, had FIVE wisdom teeth.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My wife has TMJ. Seriously -- buy the mouthguard.

She sleeps with it in at night, and it's made all the difference in her life.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Used the OTC mouthguard last night. Woke up with very little jaw pain ... for 10 minutes.
    Probably gonna take some time to be back to normal, but I'm on the right track.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Had mine out senior year of high school. Went the total knockout route, and was 100 percent within 3-4 days. And that was in the primative days of dentistry, compared to 2007.

I've had several major surgeries since then, and wisdom tooth removal was by far the easiest.

Good luck with the mouthguard. My son wears one to because he grinds his teeth during sleep. They really help.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I had one out right after I graduated from high school. The other three will require the services of an extremely skilled oral surgeon, I'm told. I am so afraid of dry socket that I am putting off getting the rest out until they start hurting and I can't stand the pain anymore.

My cousin had hers out about 10 years ago. She got knocked out for the procedure. Apparently, the surgeon twisted her head/neck so badly during it, though, that she ended up having serious neck problems and had to go on disability from work and was pretty much bedridden for weeks. The oral surgeon, of course, denied he'd done anything to hurt her.

Draft saved Draft deleted