1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMJ ... the thread formerly known as "Wisdom teeth"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Re: Wisdom teeth

I'm with the out-cold, yank-em-all-at-once crowd. I had mine done that way, but I had to get all mine taken out 'cause they were all impacted. They gave me the option of doing two at a time, but I figured I'd get it all done at once. Got 'em yanked on a Friday, started a new job the next Monday. No big deal -- except I still (after 18 years) have a penny-sized spot below my lower lip that is still numb because of nerve damage.

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I had 'em all pulled at once my senior year in high school. No problems, went to hockey practice that night. Pissed my mom off to no end.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mine were straight and all. But one day the enamel dropped out of the side of one. So the dentist wanted to pull it. And he rationalized that if he pulled the one, he might as well pull the one underneath. And if he was going to pull two, he'd pull four.
    So I went in, he shot me up and started to remove the first tooth. But he didn't numb the otherside and I felt every bit of my jaw being wrenched out of its socket on the other side.
    He wouldnt shoot me up yet because he didnt want the novocaine to wear off. I asked for a tennis ball to squeeze, he didn't have one. A hygenist offered her fingers to squeeze. I ialmost broke two.
    When he finally finished, I went home and slept for 2 days. I premade milkshakes so I could eat without actually working at it...

4. Re: Wisdom teeth

Ditto.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Apparently I grind my teeth and bite while I sleep. It's causing the muscles on the right side of my jaw to tighten up and pull my jaw off alignment -- called TMJ. Haven't looked it up beyond that yet, SportsJournalists.com comes first.
    Of course, my insurance won't cover the mouth guard-like thing the dentist recommends, so they said to get a night guard from Wal-Mart ... it's close enough.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My dentist suggested that for me too, BBAM. Thing is, you'll keep it in for about two nights, and it'll be such a nuisance you'll take it out.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So, you didn't get your wisdom teeth pulled?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

TMJ can make you wish you were getting your wisdom teeth pulled, without anesthetic.

Do exactly what the dentist tells you to do, so it doesn't get worse.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

No. Still have all four.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Yeah, I'm sitting here looking up more info, and wondering how the hell this gets better.
    This is gonna suck too.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

This gonna sound crazy but ...
    Just read a Web site that's suggesting the muscle strain in my jaw could be orginating in, say, my quad or my shoulder.
    Might visit my chiropractor to have him take a crack at my back to relieve the jaw strain. Don't laugh (because I know some on here will). I've relieved numbness in my hand by agitating a nerve in my hip. Likewise, I've had heel pain relieved with a back popping.
    Not saying he'll fix it, but a $12 trip is worth taking a chance.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Had two wisdom teeth extracted about 12 years ago. Chose the local, thinking I was man enough (I was 20) to handle it.

I leave the doctor's office able to drive off on my own and think there's nothing to it. I then proceed to treat the like it was any other.

A couple hours later, the local wears off. I immediately fell to the ground in a fetal position and cried for any pain medication I could get.

You might as well have extracted my testicles through my penis for all the pain I had.

Draft saved Draft deleted