1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMJ ... the thread formerly known as "Wisdom teeth"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 5, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

Re: Wisdom teeth

i had that problem, too, where he failed to remove it all. i didn't spit it up but the pain was unbearable when i woke up at 3 a.m. the night after the surgery when the 800-mg advil wore off.

but that's nothing compared with when i got my first wisdom tooth pulled. it was in japan about 15 years ago. dentistry in japan is not as modern as here. the guy didn't have a drill. he used some kind of medical pliers. the anesthesia started to wear off at the end and i could actually feel the last few wiggles of the tooth trying to come out. i think i almost blacked out from the pain.

so good luck, big buckin'! ;D ;)

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Well, I'm going to start here. This can comes highly regarded from the Future, who absolutely hates dentists and won't go to anyone but this guy mostly because of his dental assistants. If he says it is wisdom teeth, I'll ask about going to an oral surgeon.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I hate you.

But I have good news. DDS just called and said someone cancelled today. I'm in at 3:15.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I got lucky, like write then drink did. Got mine removed when I was 18 as they were just growing in. They got me with some great anasthesia (needle) and I was out cold. Didn't really even need the pain meds the next day. Didn't hurt too bad. Again, mine was simple because I didn't have any issues with impacted molars, etc.

5. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

This means I can start making fun of you even sooner at work.
    In all seriousness, it's not that bad. I've had both the bottom ones pulled under just novocaine. Butch up sallies.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Best of luck. I certainly don't envy you.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I'm not in tonight, so you can find another taint to lick.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I need to have mine removed, all four are impacted (or so said my last dentist), but I moved recently and haven't gotten around to it.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You just want to have a man probe around your mouth...

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

The process itself is tricky, but the aftermath can be even worse, as in my case. I got three out, I think, and that surgery was just dandy. I left the doctor's office dancing on a pain-medication high, the wisdom tooth waltz.
    But a couple hours later, the pain came back in full force, and I didn't have the prescribed oxycontin yet. I went on a lunatic spree out of the pain, breaking my bathroom mirror in the process.
    Then after I got tranquilized, I laid around like a lazy hippopotamus for two weeks. That was mostly because the wounds wouldn't stop bleeding, and bleeding. Gauze pad upon gauze pad, the deluge wouldn't quit.
    The worst part came when I got teabagged - something in tea leaves are supposed to help clots form. So I chucked about a box of bags back there, which really didn't seem to work either, except to create a bloody mess in a brown shopping bag beside the couch I rarely got off.
    Eventually, the bleeding did stop, but I had lost my appetite, five pounds, and any and all taste for tea I might have had.

But that was a rare case, I'm sure you'll do fine.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

That helped. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted