1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"TMI" people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not looking for advice as much as I am looking for some company in my misery.

My shop hired a younger woman a few weeks ago. She's nice enough. Smart. Competent, so far as I can tell (different department).

The problem? She's constantly talking about her personal life. Not just hers, but her friends'. People I've never met, never will meet. And I know everything about their failing marriages, their swinger proclivities, their ... desires to experiment. It's just a nonstop stream of clubbing stories, in-law stories (remarkably, she's married), and just about any other story you can conjure.

I think she's 25 or 26, so maybe it's just a maturity thing. Or maybe it's just a personality type.

Anyway, curious about whether others have experienced the "TMI" ("too much information") monster at work, or socially, and whether it drives everyone crazy or if I'm just being crotchety.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the other message boards that I check out has a thread with thousands of posts that is just called "TMI" and is filled with people revealing far too much about themselves.

It's fucking hilarious and I think we need a similar thread here.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Tons of people like that in my office. I want to strangle them all.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd welcome it as manna from heaven, to break up the monotony and to have great joke material later.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what kind of experimenting? Does it involve bunsen burners?

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I know the daily bowel habits of the three children of one of my co-workers. I know them because she discusses it for about 45 minutes a day with another co-worker.

I've heard a woman tell her husband on the phone he's a "fucking loser who needs to grow up."

Finally I heard another woman tell her husband, who had been living in the Dominican Republic for nine months "working on a book," "Fine. You want a divorce. You got it. You stay down there with that young bitch. You're going to realize I was the best thing that ever happened to you. Fuck you."

When a manager suggested those types of phone calls should be taken on her cell outside the office instead of on a work phone, she said, "Why?"

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked with a woman who was trying to adopt a kid from Haiti and it was quite the process. She would tell anyone who got within 100 feet of her every single detail, from how much it was costing to why she couldn't have kids to how worried she was after hearing that a hurricane hit the area. She also would hit up co-workers about six times a year about donating to the orphanage and related causes.

I was hit up for money almost every time I was in the office, which wasn't often.

This was also the same person who complained to management when a co-worker sent out a staff email saying "if anyone wants girl scout cookies, my daughter is selling them." that was about handled ten thousand times better than she did walking around with a jar of money for donations.

8. Sonner is Mr. Bookman.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

One of my interns told me she weighed 164 pounds yesterday. She also chats to everyone about her mom's gambling problems. Her mom works here too. Yay!

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My TMI person also announces what I'm doing as loudly as possible.

"Hot Pockets for dinner again!!!??? GEEZ!!!"

"Reading a LeBron story on the Internet!!!??? When the heck is he going to make a decision!!!??? Maybe you can get back to work when he does, huh!?" (cackles)

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

HejiraHenry and I sat in the office once and listened to the obit lady tell her ex-husband, "I'm glad you've got cancer, you sonofabitch. You'll be dead in six months anyway."

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I don't mind people who share their dirt nearly as much as someone always commenting on what other people are doing. Have a relative like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted