1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMBG is on Conan tonight!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 11, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My poor future second husband John Linnell looks so alone without his keyboard!

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He needs you up there with him.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They are so weird. I love it.

4. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Is all their stuff so horn-heavy?

5. imjustagirl

Some of it. They've gone through a lot of incarnations. I'm partial to the super-early stuff when it was just the two Johns and a drum machine. Then they hired the Band of Dans for John Henry...which was just OK to me. I love some of their stuff since then, but it's very hit or miss with me. I do think they're absolute geniuses.

I'd tell anyone I ever meet to listen to "Flood" about 400 times.

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Some of what you just said made no sense to me (John, John, Band of Dans), but I liked what I just heard enough to check it out.

7. imjustagirl

The two singers: John Linnell and John Flansburgh (the two Johns)
    Their band is three guys named Dan. Hence the Band of Dans.

Check out Flood, check out The Spine, check out a bunch of their stuff. They've done something for just about everybody. You've heard them, I'm sure. They did the Malcolm in the Middle theme, the Dr. Evil theme, McSweeney's stuff, Particle Man, Istanbul not Constantinople, etc.

They're amazing.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

From SportsJournalists.com's six threads of separation: The weekend that ended with my college buddies and I talking about home turf shits also featured a TMGB concert at the Palace Theatre in New Haven. A good time was had by all. Frank Black opened.

9. imjustagirl

TMBG!!!

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I didn't know much of TMBG -- and I still don't, really -- but I was interested in seeing what all the underground fuss was about. So I downloaded The Spine before college graduation and listened to it a couple times. It was OK. Then a song came up on the player over the summer, and before I knew it, that was the only album I listened to for two weeks. It became an addiction for me. Every night, I brushed my teeth while playing an online poker game and listening to They Might Be Giants.

Some of the songs hit me because of where I was in life, which was cool, but mostly, they just distracted me to no end. Once the album was finished, I double-clicked on "Experimental Film" and began the process.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Not enough guitar.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, I'm pissed that I only saw this thread now. Second all that IJAG said, they are geniuses.

Draft saved Draft deleted