1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers slams rival paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 8, 2006.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Then maybe his pronouncement should have been the jumping-off point, rather than someone else's.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Then maybe his pronouncement should have been the jumping-off point, rather than someone else's.
    That's not his schtick. You have to read him on a daily basis. Read his lead to his column.

I'm with you folks on this one. We live here, we work in the community, and you would think we'd all be pulling for each other.
    But yet you look at the newspaper some mornings, and the only thing we're getting is bad news, some writers making a career out of pouncing on good folk just because they're a little down on their luck.
    I'm sure you've noticed too that some people just seem to dwell on the negative.
    He's describing his columns in the lead. But then he turns it around and says it's somebody else.

I just wanted to throw the newspaper against the wall. What does the Daily News have against the Dodgers? Is the paper overrun with Bruins fans and eager to get the Dodgers out of the paper so more space can be dedicated to UCLA?
    Here's another example. Simers, of course, is the guy who after USC lost to Texas "became" a UCLA fan because the Bruins were the only team to finish the year with a win.

The way he was going after everybody, I wouldn't have been surprised to read smiley ripping his own family next.
    Simers calls his son-in-law the Grocery Store Bagger. He rips on his wife. He writes that his daughter can't get a date. Sarcasm, guys and gals, sarcasm. This is what Simers does. If you don't like, don't read it. But it's his schtick.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Great slam on Helene Elliott by Simers in today's edition:

THE OTHER night Kent hit a home run and then asked for my autograph. Between you and me, I don't know what took him so long. Shy, I guess.

"I bought this so you'd sign it," he said, pulling out a Los Angeles Magazine, which included other Times sportswriters trashing Page 2, one of them, who writes about hockey and would have to be considered an expert on such things, calling it a "waste of a space."

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

By the way, we're talking about a guy who wears an Angels ballcap into the Dodgers locker room. Let's not take him too seriously.

It kind of reminds me of when Jon Stewart was on Crossfire and one of the analysts said he should have taken a more serious tone with John Kerry because a lot of people watch his show for the news.

Stewart said "You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls."

It is what it is. It's a schtick.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

:) :D ;D

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Since I don't read him -- only read this because of this thread -- that's too many inside jokes for me.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

That's fine, and I understand that. I wasn't just responding to you. Some people hate his stuff, and if you do that's fine. But a lot of people were taking it as him ripping another writer. He wasn't ripping the other writer. He was ripping himself, essentially. The other writer just provided a little fodder.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Why does the LAT need a story by a much smaller paper as "a vehicle to write about the Dodgers?" Can't Simers write about the Dodgers any time he wants without needing another paper as a foil?

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Of course he can. He's done it all year. But he found a funny way to open his column. And he did so by not "really" ripping the writer. It was a rip job on himself.

10. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Man, then you've missed some funny, decades-old stuff between Sid Hartman in Mpls and Charley Walters across the Mighty Miss in St. Paul. It may be unprofessional, but it's a hoot to read.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If you've ever bristled when your news-side colleagues use the phrase "toy department," you've got writers like Simers to thank for it.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've never bristled. I kinda enjoy it.

Let those fuckers be as condescending as they want to be. Give me 24 Little League games over 1 City Council meeting. Any damn day.

Draft saved Draft deleted