1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers slams rival paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Simers really takes the Daily News behind the woodshed here. Blames the paper for saying the Dodgers were 'done' last month ... brings a copy of the Daily News to the clubhouse to show the Dodgers and get reaction. Pure genius. Risky as hell, but i like it.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers8aug08,0,5565898.column?coll=la-home-headlines

If you're the Daily News, do you even bother respond?

This battle doesn't seem to have the cachet of a NY Daily News vs. NY Post, but it'll be fun to see what happens next ...

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

You can't get after him. You just can't respond. You're not going to win. No one does this act better than Simers. I mean, the whole thing is a joke, he's clearly sarcastic the whole way through, yet he goes all the way with it, it makes you wonder. You can't play his game. But I could see how frustrating that would be to be this Dilbeck guy.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

"The way he was going after everybody, I wouldn't have been surprised to read smiley ripping his own family next."

Great line by Simers in the story. Funny column and so self-referntial, you'd only be up in arms, at the Dodger or Daily News, if you had never read him, or had no sense of humor.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Bingo, CJ.

It's Simers to a T.

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Lord help you if you think that article was anything but completely tongue-in-cheek.

6. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Shoot, if I'm from the Daily News I'm thrilled to discover someone from the Times acknowledges we exist.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Tomorrow, Teej stands outside a cage at the L.A. Zoo and taunts the chimps. Sunday, he takes on the Special Olympics!

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Here's what will hapen:

No one will give a shit, either now or later.

At the end of the season, the Dodgers will finish in an eight-way tie for both wild card and division playoff spots. After a week of coin flips and elimination games, they'll reach the final step before the playoffs.

Brad Penny, pitching in his fourth game in three days, takes the mound. He cruises into the seventh inning, then runs into trouble. Grady orders him to intentionally walk Bonds and pitch to Alou. On his first pitch to Alou, Penny tears every opposable ligament in his pitching arm.

Alou hits a rocket to the outfield. On the play, Kent and Nomar come up lame. The Giants score two runs and win.

Later, the Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Amen

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not one of Simers better efforts. Would have been more funny if he had more reaction from the players (especially since he obviously is guilty of the same thing) and less rundown of the Daily News article.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Agree with those who say it's T.J. to a tee. Completely tonge-in-cheek, especially the line about ripping the family. Agreed, not his best effort, but better than a lot of other stuff out there.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dog bites man

Film at 11

Draft saved Draft deleted