1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TiVo questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Sep 5, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Our DVR can record one thing while we watch another. I don't know why because I didn't set it up, but Doc might be able to shed some light.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You need two lines coming in. I have DirecTV with TiVo. Two lines from the dish and I can record two shows at once. I have the 80-hour TiVo and have come close to filling it up a couple of times, but I, too, turn off what the TiVo feature of it recording what I think I want to watch and that saves a lot of space.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I highly recommend the two-tuner TiVo so you can record two shows at once, or record one and watch another.

It used to be you needed a phone line for initial setup but I understand that's no longer the case.

Another source for boxes and information and such: weaknees.com

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Is there a way to get a second line? Does it take a special kind of Tivo? Or can I just get a splitter or something?

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

IJAG,

If I understand it correctly, the TiVo brand units do not record two things at once and allow you to watch a third. The DirecTV DirecTivo units have two tuners in them so you can record 2 things at the same time.

As far as HD Tivo is concerned, DirecTV has the only one on the market right now. TiVo will have what they are calling the "Series 3" out soon (some folks say it'll be on sale in no more than a month) which is going to be HD. The decision for people will come down to how much content is available in your area. For instance, I can not yet get the major networks broadcast to me in HD. DirecTV doesn't offer them and I am not able to recieve them "over the air" with an antenna. So HD options are limited for me to just a few choices offered by DirecTV.

I found this out after I dropped a grand on an HD Tivo. :eek: (I was an early adopter and, apparently, research is not my strong suit).

The things I do get in HD look great though. Not a thousand dollars great...but great just the same. ;D

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I just got a new Dish Network HD DVR. I get all the available locals in HD. Of course, there hasn't been much on yet, but I'm eagerly awaiting Sunday's NFL in HD.

Mine can record two things at once, but one has to be the thing you're watching, I think.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

You could also record two things and watch something you've recorded earlier.

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

OTD,

It just depends on where you live. In some places DISH (or DirecTV) offer your locals including HD.

Unfortunately, in my small neck of the woods, they aren't offered by satellite yet. I could get them from some other city if I can prove that, because of my location, I am not able to get them with an antenna. I got a big mountain between me and the transmiiter tower, but, according to "offical" records, I can recieve them.

The fact that in the real world I can't does not apparently matter.

As far as programming goes, I have heard that the CSI programs look terrific in HD. I have read that generally, ABC has the best HD. And sports of course. But, as always, YMMV. The only HD channel I currently receive is HBO and I think that everything looks better in HD versus standard definition. My wife has not yet climbed on board. Says they look exactly the same. Chicks ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted