1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TiVo questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Sep 5, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I bought a reconditioned one off tivo.com. Got way more memory than I would have for that price for a new one. I have had zero problems.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

This is where I go for all things TiVo related. It's a good group that has no problems answering questions.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

As far as memory is concerned, more is always better. You think there is no way you could fill it up, and then you find out it's full and you aren't sure what you want to delete.

Also, the DirecTV Tivo is different from the regular Tivo. Both price and feature wise.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only unfortunate thing about Tivo now is that you can no longer get the lifetime pass... That thing was a great deal...

As with anything else, more memory is better. But you can tinker with things to give yourself more memory by not recording at the highest level of quality. If I'm going to Tivo a game, I'll leave it at the highest, but if we're talking about Cheers reruns, I'll set it at the medium level, which allows you to keep twice as much stuff. I almost never overload my memory, I just watch the shows and then delete them or burn them to disc, which I don't do that often...

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't think I've ever recorded anything on high.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Tivo is wonderful. I've had it a year, the DirecTV Tivo. And the phone line, far as I can tell, is unnecesary. We've not plugged in the phone line since we moved four months ago. The Tivo tells us that it's been 200 days since it last connected, but it doesn't seem to have affected anything. We still get accurate menus of upcoming shows. We can still record two shows at once.

As far as memory is concerned, that depends on how much time you spend watching TV. We've got the 80-hour. We've never filled it. And we've got stuff on there from the first week we had it, that we've never gotten around to watching and will probably never watch. We just don't watch that much TV. But it's still great, because a lot of times something I definitely want to watch is on at a time I can't watch it.

On a separate question, does anyone know anything about HD Tivo? I looked into them briefly a while ago, and they were more than double the cost of the regular TIVO. I'd like to get one, but I'm not sure if it's worth it...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We looked at the HD Tivo and decided it wasn't worth it yet... HD is highly overrated for anything other than sporting events in my opinion... It's good on movies too, but most of the movies I watch at home are on DVD...

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have the Dish Network DVR, and I can't record two things at once, wo y'all are making me a little jealous.

But I don't have a phone line, and have never needed it, though I've never tried to order anything from pay-per-view.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the other thing i like about tivo is that the noises it makes are really cool. unfortunately my tivo has been on the fritz for a while. i have to press the tivo button 50 times to get it to click on and when i rewind it doesn't always work on the first press of the button. seems to work fine every time i reset it but then it goes back and does it again.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I have the 40 hour Direct TV with TiVo and it's fine. I try to keep up with watching so I've never had a problem, and I turn off the feature that records thing it "thinks" you might want to watch. Recording two shows at the same time is the best feature, no doubt. I love it when it's recording 2 shows and I'm watching something on TiVo and zooming through those commercials!

I can't really speak to the phone line--sorry.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mine doesn't record two shows at once. :(

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

mine either. it also doesn't record one show while i'm watching another. the reason is that we already have two incoming lines from cable -- one goes to cable and another goes to the cable internet. we'd have to split the signal three ways if we wanted tivo to have its own line. but we live in such an area with such crappy cable service that the signal would actually drop below the level it needs to keep all three things going at once. eh. comcast sucks.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Nothing of what you typed makes any sense to me. I'm dumb with that stuff. But I only have one cable going from the wall into my Tivo. My internet is DSL through an ethernet connection.

Can I do something to record two at once, or to record one and watch another?

Draft saved Draft deleted