1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TiVo questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Sep 5, 2006.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Because I'm so not an early adapter, I'm just getting around to joining the TiVo revolution.

So here are my questions:

1. How much memory do I need? Is the 80-hour machine where I can record two things at once big enough? Or should I drop the extra 100 bucks and get the 180-hour machine?

2. Is it true that if I have DSL through my phone company that the TiVo won't be able to connect through the phone?

Thanks much for the help.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Not sure what the phone line is for.
    We had to get a land line at our last place for DirecTV (and Tivo). It was just a way for the home office to occasionally update our box, I guess.
    We just moved and when we called DirecTV expressing interest in switching to Dish, they gave us the free move, upgraded our box and told us we didn't need a phone line. The box got all the info it needed off the satellite -- same place it gets programming.
    The guy that installed it at our new place asked for our land line to hook it up; we told him we were told we didn't need it; he shrugged, said okay and finished up. We haven't had any problems.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

get as big of a hard drive as you can afford. i got tivo early on when the memories were 40 hours. i had to get two to fill my needs.

the second question is simply not true.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

With TIVO, the phone line updates the TV menus each week.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My Dish Network box needs the phone line if you want to order any pay-per-view movies.

6. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

and for pay-per-view i think you need the phone line.

7. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

\
    oops .... i wasn't quick enough

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Make sure you get an actual TiVo. Not the DirecTV DVR. My TiVo recently went out and I replaced it with the DirecTV DVR. Possibly the biggest electronic-purchase mistake of my life (I was too young for Betamax, probably would have gone that way too).

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did you invest in a laser disc player in the early '90s?

Giant discs + a humongous player = can't miss!!! :D

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Sadly, no. But who wouldn't want a copy of "Footloose" as big as the soundtrack LP?

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Anyone know how to take a TIVO clip off the TV?

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I went to Walmart and bought a wireless adapter, so I don't need a landline to update. That was the only reason I could find for having a home phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted