1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titans beat writer -- Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, but think of how much you'll cash in with the overtime pay. ;)

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good for you. I would expect, however, that most NFL beat jobs require that kind of commitment. I doubt the team will make trades when it fits into your schedule.

DCorNothing and BrendaStarr like this.
  3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And let's be honest - The Tennessean had all kinds of trouble filling their spots when the latest "everyone must apply for their job" Gannett bullshit came down the pike last year. They had to take temps from other Gannett properties just to get the paper out.

So you've got low wages for what is expected to be a high end hire, the constant cloud of applying for your own job and layoffs hanging over you, plus what is from many accounts a pretty toxic environment (how long did the Predators beat writer last before bolting?), and the short time frame for a hire with training camp looming, and they may be looking to hit a bases-empty grand slam here.

In any case, I can't wait to read the welcoming column, all about how the EE used to hang out in the Lions locker room ... And oh yeah, here's our new hire.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would consider what a young go-getter did while in college as experience.

And Nashville can throw in hot chicken to spice up the deal.

Tweener likes this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would guess if a writer truly has talent, he/she would be considered. After all, less experience generally means lower pay.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So you can do all these things that are required for low pay or take a job with a team site where you do 1/3 of the work. Good luck to this new person being the "No. 1 source" on Titans football when the team just hired the person who ALWAYS will be the No. 1 source on Titans football. LOL.

7. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

Let's be honest - despite everything on this list, they will still have hundreds of applicants to sort through and will come away with a more-than-competent hire.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

They should put that on a billboard: "more-than-competent"

LesJ9488 likes this.
  9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'm betting they hire someone already employed by Gannett in the greater Nashville area with a background in video production, business reporting or audience development willing to work for at least $25K less than what Jim Wyatt was getting paid.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This is probably not far off. Audience development/engagement, a strong social media presence and video production will get you far in this particular application process. If you have experience covering the NFL, even better.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This one goes to Jason Wolf, formerly of Wilmington (Del.) and Greensboro fame. And lest we forget Danville.

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Great news

Wonderlic likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted