1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titans beat writer -- Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 21, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Tennessean is seeking an experienced NFL reporter to cover the Tennessee Titans team and produce compelling multimedia content about the team and its franchise, players and performance. This reporter will work to be the No. 1 most trusted expert when it comes to Titans' news. Responsibilities include planning and executing daily multimedia stories/content about happenings, issues and trends regarding the Titans; producing high-impact, enterprise journalism about the football team; and engaging with readers through platforms such as social media, digital chats, events, and comments about the Titans.

Job Details:

·The reporter assigned to the Titans is responsible for coverage of the team on and off the field across all platforms. The reporter researches, reports and writes compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging customers interested in NFL content. This includes (but is not limited to) breaking news, game coverage, hirings/firings, enterprise/feature reporting, team and player community events; personnel issues off the field; and written analysis for digital and print; using social media to promote personal and tnMedia.com sports brands and drive traffic to our products; understanding how to use metrics to help shape coverage; and helping produce video content. The reporter is expected to produce self-directed work in collaboration with a content coach and audience analyst to shape content that meets audience needs and interests on every platform. The reporter is an expert on the Titans and the NFL, is able to develop diverse sources both within and outside the organization, coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists, and acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and marketing. This reporter’s work includes enterprise, commentary, analysis and opinion, based on subject expertise and explanatory skills. The reporter is expected to provide thoughtful analysis in a range of ways, including stories, public appearances, television & radio appearances, columns and blogs. In off-season continues to work contacts and develop leads for NFL stories and produces similar work on non-NFL issues.

Knowledge and Skills:

• Bachelor's or Master's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
    • More than eight years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
    • Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
    • Experience with developing and reporting investigative journalism and demonstrated continual subject matter education and training.
    Speciality reporters are often called on to travel for extended periods of time and to be available to provide expertise and analysis across a range of platforms 24/7.

Career Opportunities: Titans Football Reporter (64272)

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I detect a bit of sarcasm here.

4. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Just a bit?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reading job descriptions like that always makes me both chuckle at the incredible demands placed on a beat reporter, and cower in shame at my own inadequacy when I realize I'm out after job requirement No. 1.
    So, just out of curiosity, how much does being an omnipotent football guru who can hack their way into a Pentagon server and never needs to eat, sleep, or spend time with loved ones pay these days?

Runner likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I will never apply for any job that requires anything of me "24/7".

tapintoamerica and studthug12 like this.
  7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

What's puzzling is the required eight years of experience. 1. Several of the top NFL writers in the country have less than that. 2. Being a Gannett-owned paper, the salary will not be too high, which could make it difficult to lure an established NFL reporter with a lot of experience, particularly with training camp right around the corner.

8. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

• More than eight years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
    What the hell is this supposed to mean exactly?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If you knew, you might have a shot. :)

Tweener, I can't imagine many folks covering an NFL beat who have less than 8 years experience. Unless you meant 8 years in that specific position. And your latter point seems valid. Love to know how much the pay for this would be. But from the little time I spent there, I'd think you could do a hell of a lot worse than Nashville.

10. AMS

AMS New Member

You'd be surprised... off the top of my head there are two No. 1 Bills writers (ESPN and Syracuse.com) who are under 25.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I guess I would be surprised. But cheap labor is in, I guess.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I can name a dozen NFL writers off the top of my head, all of whom are very good, who graduated from college less than eight years ago. But according to the requirements, none of them would be eligible for this job.

My point is that if you want an established guy with more than eight years, you'll need to be able to make a strong financial offer and I'm not sure a Gannett-owned paper can do that. That's just my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted