1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tis the season...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The reason I start buying Christmas gifts early is I can't afford to buy everyone's gifts on one or two paychecks. I'm going to start buying stuff this week so I can spread it out. I also need to start looking for gifts for my cousins, because now that I live in a different state, they need to be spoiled with non-blue Kentucky stuff.

And I went to Wal-Mart a week ago. I don't normally venture on the non-food side of the Wal-Mart, but I needed conditioner, and they had their entire Christmas stuff set up, down to a dancing Santa Claus in the aisle and Christmas music. I did end up buying something from that area....a candle scented like a Christmas tree, so that way when I set up my 4' tall fake Christmas tree, I can light it and pretend that it's authentic pine.

2. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Speaking of looking for Halloween goodies, what's the deal with stories getting rid of it so quickly? Used to be you could get 50 or 75% off candy for days. This evening, Kroger had NOTHING.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ugh. I work in retail, and our Christmas aisle was supposed to be set up on September 12. Due to some changes in the store, it only went up about two weeks ago. We've been selling the stuff like mad. Mostly ornaments and wrapping paper.

I always start shopping early. If I see something during the year that a family member will like I'll pick it up and store it. Plus, I have a Christmas Club account that basically covers Dr. J and another family member or friend. I also buy all my wrapping paper, bags and boxes at 75% off sales after Christmas the previous year.

This year, Dr. J will be almost done by Nov. 7. Mom is done and my friend Sara is getting there. That leaves my aunt, grandmother, dad, an other friend and bosses at work. All peeps I can get done in an afternoon.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Same story at my local Target -- where the stock guy said everything was gone <i>on</i> Halloween, and at nearly full price, too! -- and one of the two neighborhood supermarkets. Luckily I found a couple of bags of leftover chocolate at the second, so my coworkers didn't have to go without this year.

My family doesn't celebrate Christmas, and we don't really exchange Hanukkah gifts. (Well, okay, I still get stuff... a benefit of being the only child! ;D) Like FarmerJ, I got my cards at the post-Christmas sales. I've been picking up stuff for friends here and there, whenever I'm inspired. I don't really like to shop, and thus appreciate anything that can break the process down into small doses. My biggest problem is getting the presents to the people, either because we're all so busy it's tough to find time to give things in person or 'cause whatever I bought has to be shipped. In a few cases, that's affected what I bought -- just to avoid USPS headaches.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If your store just started, consider yourself lucky. I know mine has been going strong since the second week of October.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The future BIL works at Lowe's and they HAD to have their Christmas stuff in place by end of September... bu the Christmas carols bugged the shit out of me...

Draft saved Draft deleted