1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tis the season...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Nov 1, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So I;m walking through Walmart this morning to buy chili fixins and see what halloween goodies are left.
    Today is Nov. 1, as far as I can tell...
    I'm looking in the 50 percent off Halloween aisle and I hear it.... Christmas carols from the speakers....

nov. 1. Christmas music. Halloween was yesterday... fuckers...

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yep, I had the same experience. Even the stockers were rolling their eyes...as they stocked the Christmas candy aisle. :(

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Two radio stations in town have already switched over to Xmas music 24/7.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Now that's overboard.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

They started stocking Christmas items at the local Rite Aids at least three weeks ago.

I think I read somewhere that in light of the woeful economy, retailers are trying to get shoppers in the spending spirit earlier this year.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness most of my shopping is done. And, except for one pickup at a specialty place - i.e., non-retail and not a holiday theme - the rest will likely be done online.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

The Target near me has its five holiday aisles stocked already. ...

... One side of my family has already sent out emails and passed along word that we're "NOT" to exchange gifts this year and to focus on spending time together as a family more so than spend elaborately on material possessions because of the economy. The holiday season is about spending time with your loved ones, no doubt. But it's hard for me not to want to buy a little gift for friends, family.

And I REFUSE to buy Christmas gifts before Thanksgiving. Absolutely refuse.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I refuse to as well, but only for this reason: I won't STOP shopping. And I can't afford to buy each person four things. :D

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My mother is trying to play the "we're not doing much of anything" BS for Christmas, too.

I understand that it's partly because it's not about material possessions, and mostly because my stepfather's health is too poor to shop around, etc., etc. But we're fortunate, nobody is starving or having to be extraordinarily tight with the wallet, so why else?

She's been a major buzzkill the last two years, and I will do what I can to avoid it becoming three. Having our Christmas routine and pseudo-traditions drastically altered is enough ... do we have to exacerbate it by verbally buzzkilling - again?

If they don't like my idea for this year, there's not much else to do to save the mentality around here.

(And sxy ... when I shop early, it's mostly to avoid the ridiculous holiday crowds and partly because the ideas can flow at strange times ... )

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I was in St. Louis three weeks ago and there was already a radio station playing nothing but Christmas music.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, 93.3 here in Cincy. Driving around last nite, scanning radio stations and I get Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town". Yep... IN TWO MONTHS!

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, you're out of order ... oh, wait, nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted