1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Tis the season for a Christmas bonus!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AreaMan, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Once again, I thank my lucky stars I work for the company I do.

It certainly has its issues, but it treats employees quite well.

I got a $375 end of year bonus.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Idaho, get the 160 GB iPod with a nice case.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nah, my 8gig is more than I'll ever need.

Mine is already spent on a very good purpose. Every year we adopt a family from my kids' preschool and make sure they have a merry(er) holiday season. Last year, we paid the remaining tuition for the year for a family that couldn't afford it -- and we're talking a very low-cost preschool operated through the school district -- because of a health emergency that left dad in a bed and mom working at Arby's.

This year, we got a list from the teacher and there will be a few extra presents for everyone.

We won't miss the $375 much, but I hope karma keeps an eye out on us should we ever be the family in need.

4. I've never received a bonus of any kind during my 11 years in the business.

I'm not upset. You don't miss what you never had.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Try Cracker Barrel. I'm not being an ass. Their managers work hard, get paid well and can advance.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I used to change oil for $6 an hour. I got a $100 Christmas bonus. Now I cover a major beat at my newspaper. Last year I got nothing. I think the year before that I got like a $10 gift certificate at a local supermarket.

I'm not expecting anything this year. Although I shouldn't complain. I have a good job and had no frustrating jobless period to get it.

7. Taylee

Taylee Member

Visiting my brother and his family last week and they were celebrating because they got their Christmas bonuses. Combined more than $15,000.
    Did I mention they aren't journalists?

8. didn't have to

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

My best friend's husband got a $10,000 check aka Christmas Bonus in the mail yesterday. She yelped when she opened it.
    I would do more than yelp if I opened a $10,000 LEGIT check made out to me.

My shop gives out bonuses based on department ... if there's money appropriated in the budget for such. Largest bonus I've ever received was $250.

10. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

[​IMG]

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/457a07b4587b754e053b329e1414b474.htm

HO
    HO
    HO

11. And there goes why you didn't get a bonus. You worked at one of a handful of newspapers who pay well and give good benefits. They didn't feel guilty enough to give you a bonus, like most papers do who pay like crap and charge you through the wahoo for bad benefits.

As far as our shop, we used to get a $25 gift card to a local grocery or an option to donate to a cause. Not much, but practical. Didn;t complain much. This year, you get your choice . . .

. . . of a dark or light denim button up shirt with the companies logo on the pocket. :(

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

starting to get a wee-bit nervous. no bonus yet. they've been a long-standing tradition at my shop. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted