1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Tis the season for a Christmas bonus!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AreaMan, Dec 9, 2007.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

No, she's just a good friend. But I'm sure that marriage will smack me in the rear when I least expect it ;)

2. That's hilarious. They should have kept her around to tell people they're being laid off. I mean, who can be mad at an elf? Even a dour one.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Once again, another thread that makes me count my blessings that I am where I am.
    Every year we have a potluck lunch a week or two before Christmas. The publisher/owner of the paper comes around and gives us what he calls our "Christmas gift" -- a check. Usually a few hundred bucks. I think I've gotten as much as $400 and as little as $200. Makes it so I don't have to pay for gifts out of my normal paycheck. Very nice, and very appreciated.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No bonus like at my last gig. I do, however, get about 20 paid days off.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I got a bigger "bonus" when I worked at a call center: A $50 gift card to [big ass shopping mall that's near work, but nowhere near forever_town's house].

6. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

I've been doing this for 18 years, with three different stops in three different big chains. And I've never once had a Christmas bonus. Man, I thought those were just the things of myth.

My current place is having a newsroom potluck and according to the e-mail announcement, "all newsroom employees are expected to contribute a dish." Of course, it's at noon, so I don't think I'm going to make it.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I got $100 at a hotel, plus a $25 gift certificate to Red Lobster and another $25 in cash from a neighboring hotel for recommending customers go there when mine was full. I'd been there for about six weeks at the time, so I was quite pleased. So was my liver.

8. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

for Christmas I would like a job ... doesn't have to be sports writing (maybe one day) ... Id just be happy with 11 dollars an hour and some satisfaction that going to a halfway descent school and getting a bachelor's degree could at least earn me 2000 dollars a month.

apparently...it cant.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Watch out for those full-descent schools; sometimes you can't climb out.

But really, your time will come. My sincerest hopes you have a gig come Dec. 25, but I hope you're enjoying the season anyway.

10. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Welcome to the club, buddy.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Well at one of my work places, I just received retroactive pay and a signing bonus because our union signed the deal with the employer. It was retroactive two years and also got two pay raises.

While it's not a Christmas bonus, it was money that was owed to me. Thank god union dues off my paycheque is resulting in some benefits. ;) ;D

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Keep your heads up, guys. I didn't land my first job in the business for about four months, and I was frustrated as hell. I sent out clips to every corner of the country. But I was told at the time, in 2005, that nine months following graduation was the average in this field. Don't get yourselves too frustrated because your time really will come, and it'll put you in such a better mindset about the last few weeks or months of your life. At least it did for me.

There's nothing like some quality time to reflect.

Draft saved Draft deleted