1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Tis the season for a Christmas bonus!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AreaMan, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

No bonus here. And I mentioned our Christmas party on another thread.

We had to PAY for tickets to our Christmas staff party and there were FEWER TICKETS THAN THERE ARE EMPLOYEES. So if you waited, or had to check schedules or plans with the spouse, or were waiting on work schedules, you might have missed out because the party "sold out."

Oh, and the ME won the gigantic HiDef TV in the raffle.

2. Fixed.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That sounds like the definition of fair.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There you go. I think good old Georgie boy took a hold of my fingers last night and confused Tiny Tim with Mickey Mouse. ...

I'm not sure what's in store for a bonus this year, since I'm at a new shop. But the last two years, this single guy got a 13-pound turkey. What does a single, 22- and 23-year-old guy do with a 13-pound turkey, you ask? He gives it to his parents to enjoy while he's back working, of course, making the $17 spent on the bird -- and not going toward the rent -- seem extremely pointless.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We got a hundred bucks.

I was glad for it.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What's a Christmas bonus?
    (and I work for a Newhouse/Advance paper)

7. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Last year our chrsitmas bonus was a 25 gift card from the Chamber of Commerce. I think I went to Wal-Mart and bought a clock with it to cover up a hole in the kitchen wall.

Then I got a $25 friendly's gift card from my SE...great stuff.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Our bonus was an e-mail letting us know we get to keep our jobs. For now.

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Our Christmas bonus? A slice or two of the editorial page editor's world-famous fried turkey as part of an employee carry-in "lunch" that starts two hours before my shift begins. The company might not be providing anything, but that fried turkey is mighty fine.

And, no, I haven't decided what I'm going to bring. Maybe The Girl That Hacky Obeys will feel creative and bake up a nice dessert.....

10. Nice description. I didn't know you were married :D

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I should get somewhere around $500 this Friday at a covered dish luncheon, though I'll be out of town. :) It's been a good second half with local election ad sales (I love mud slinging sheriff candidates). :D

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Way back in the days before direct deposit, a gal from the payroll department would come around every other Friday and hand out paychecks. What made the payday before Christmas so special was that she would dress up like an elf and hand each of us, along with our check, a marshmallow-filled chocolate Santa.

We always got a good laugh about our "Christmas bonus" because that, in fact, was it. And it was great, because she had the same blank expression on her face that she had the other 25 paydays, except for being dressed in this green costume.

Then, with direct deposit, I think they laid off the payroll gal. No more elf, no more chocolate Santas.

Draft saved Draft deleted