1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Tis the season for a Christmas bonus!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AreaMan, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

My former paper's idea of a Christmas bonus was a coupon book and a Holiday Party thrown in late January. Of course, it was on a Friday night, so guess which department never showed up? The HR moron never understood why we couldn't make it.

Another anecdote of why I left the business.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You know, I bitched and moaned about the "holiday party" that was "optional" at my last shop. How I had to get gussied, then go to a basketball game after like 20 minutes at the party (terribly overdressed).

But it's better than the big batch of nothingness I get at this gig.

3. Yeah, but think of all the young men in the stands that you dazzled.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

As always, ours was a $10 grocery store gift card meant to be a bonus for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I still haven't used it.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

WHAT holiday bonus?

If we want a holiday party, we throw one ourselves.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This year, our holiday party is scheduled to start at 12:15, so guess which departments get to partake -- not the news or sports departments! Who gives a rat's dick about a fuckin' holiday party anyway?

IJAG, did you have the 15- and 16-year-old boys on the JV hitting on you during the varsity game in the example you mentioned? :p

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We used to get an full week's pay as a bonus, but it's dropped to 80 percent the last few years. Better than most, I know, and we get to listen to the publisher tell us how we're all lucky to have jobs in exchange for our checks.

Once worked at a shop where our X-mas bonus was a $25 gift certificate to a grocery store. Was intended to be used to buy a turkey, but my buds and I pooled ours together and bought a shitload of beer ...

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Lord, that would have been a recipe for disaster last week when I was 23.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

My current shop is the first and only place I've worked that doesn't give employees Christmas bonuses.

At one small paper years ago, they always had the Christmas party on a Friday night. Of course there was high school basketball every year on that night. We didn't publish a Saturday paper and reporting on Friday games went in Sunday's paper, so the powers at be didn't understand why I didn't skip the games and go to the party. Yeah, I want to drink at the party and go back to the office and take call-ins and take more calls than normal because I wasn't at a game. :(

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You aren't 23 now? I would have never guessed. [/sucking up to IJAG] ;)

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Flattery will get you everywhere. Fenian has been slacking in that department.

Maybe I should take after sc and get a poolboy. Or maybe I'll have a manmaid.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

IJAG... I would definitely be your poolboy. Everybody needs a newbie once in a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted