1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Tis the season: Annual holiday bonus thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cape_Fear, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm expecting a lump of coal.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My dad worked in the aerospace industry and they cut out big parties in the mid-90s. If you've seen Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, the company used to rent out both of the waterparks featured in the movie.

Christmas parties were catered events.

Our party is in the office. I don't know if my family is invited yet, though.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'd give a thumbs up to any company giving a decent bonus or having a nice Christmas party with the economy the way it is. My guess is that company does not have Gannett near its name. Continuing to give bonuses would constitute a class act.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

what's a Christmas bonus? I've worked at a Newhouse paper the last 19 years. This year will be the 19th Christmas I've worked (goes with being one of the few Jewish staffers in sports in past years, the only one last year and this year). I guess working the easy holiday shift is my bonus.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

We are having a Christmas party.
    We can bring a guest. I don't know about a bonus yet.
    I suspect a bonus won't be coming.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

We get to work as valets at the publisher's Christmas party.

7. Mediator

Mediator Member

I haven't seen a Christmas bonus since I quit the law firm to work in journalism.

8. Aussie_Nick

Aussie_Nick Member

Yep- "A donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund."

What the??? ;)

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I recently left a shop that gave a Christmas bonus that was a week's pay for every week of vacation you qualify for. After I was there 10 years, it became three weeks, a pretty hefty bonus.

The catch was the "week's pay" wasn't much, so I bolted for a place that pays better, but doesn't do any sort of holiday bonus.

That didn't last long. Landed a new gig that I start in early December. The bonus? I don't know.

I wish it was three week's pay though.

10. jps

jps Active Member

got $150 at a local grocery store. much appreciated.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Hey mediator, what kind of bonuses do attorneys get these days. I know I had a buddy in a big city who got five figure Xmas bonuses from his law firm.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your publisher is a decent guy this time of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted