1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tirico gives ESPN the bird......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 25, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You are the undisputed king of Overused Message Board phrases, circa 2007.

JC likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Marty Smith? Doesn't strike me as PBP guy. Nor does Finebaum, for that matter.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yea Marty smith. Not as PbP guys but with more of an SEC presence of broadcasts.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not a big fan of his either. Relatively harmless, but annoying. Has been doing a lot more NASCAR lately. Guess they need something to keep him busy.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He's a pretty regular guest on one of the radio shows here and has always come across as likable. Has some great stories about starting out as a preps stringer for the Roanoke Times and desperately seeking places to file in backwoods Appalachia.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You gotta be kidding me...Bammers don't think he's the greatest thing since screw top Natural Lite? The way he's always slurping Saban during every game, even when the Tide aren't playing?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

LOL. People kill Verne and Gary every Saturday online, whether it is butchering names (legit) or being convinced Danielson is anti-Bama (not legit). Mostly I roll my eyes at it, but during a tense game I catch myself yelling at them to shut up too.

Inky_Wretch and TigerVols like this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He is likeable, but sometimes he rubs me the wrong way. It seems to depend on what he is reporting on for some reason. It might even be that ESPN has pigeon-holed him into covering things exclusively in the South. So it might actually be the network I have a beef with, which is far from the first time.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tirico is the epitome of ESPN -- he's mayonayse. Bland. Drab. Boring. Don't rock the boat.

Lots of fleeing from Bristol and it will be a HUGE void to fill because he's more than just MNF.

Uncle Al's contract -- and DP's contract -- are up after the 2018 Super Bowl (DP said so on air today). I can't imagine NBC pushing the greatest PBP announcer of all time out the door if he's not ready, and clearly, Uncle Al is still on top of his game.

Interesting hire for the Peacock, especially if they put Mayonayse Mike on The Open and push out Dan Hicks, who is virtually No. 3 at the network behind Costas and Michaels with all of the high-profile events he does (Notre Dame, lead golf, big events at the Olympics).

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You guys put a lot of thought into announcers.

JackReacher and BDC99 like this.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Go easy on Chef. He gave a toe for this board.

Inky_Wretch and BDC99 like this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

1/4 of one, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted