1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tirico gives ESPN the bird......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 25, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think ESPN will miss Tirico, just because he was a competent announcer who could do multiple sports well. Always well prepared. Don't know if he's worth huge money, but he's a capable lead basketball, football and golf guy. I can think of a few people that have done two of those well, but not all three. NBC can use him to plug in for Michaels, Costas, and Dan Hicks.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Verne Lundquist and Jim Nantz are about the only two I can think of that are good on basketball, football and golf. I'm sure Al Michaels could do golf if he had to. He can (and probably has) covered everything at one time or another.
    Which makes me wonder, is this a move with an eye toward the future? Michaels will be 72 at the end of next football season. He might only have a few good years left in the booth. Getting Tirico in the company now, with an eye toward him being Michaels' replacement as the jack-of-all-trades for the NFL, golf and the Olympics in 2018 or 2019, wouldn't be a bad move.

3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Couldn't care less about Tirico. Glad I don't have to hear his voice on ESPN.

4. Who does Tirico replace in NBC golf booth?
    I think he's a little more than competant. I've always liked him. He's get excited and still manages to make the calls. NBC could a lot worse.

And honestly, I'ts not like I am not going to watch an event because I don't like the TV crew: worst case scenario: I watch TV mute on and listen to the radio call.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's a weakness. ESPN has enough "destination talking heads" as it is. Even Rachel Nichols, a total pro, seems to now have signed a contract with "demonstrative arm waves and and unnaturally large smiles" in case anyone misses her point.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As long as Tirico never hosts another radio show, he can do play-by-play anywhere.

This probably benefits all. Mike goes to NBC where he is probably the likely successor to Al, who has the biggest job in sports. Mike can do some Olympics at the peacock.

The most puzzling obsession, I feel, is how Josh Elliott keeps getting seven figure jobs in the business. Dude started a bidding war because he's apparently the only smug tall guy on TV who is 20 pounds overweight. I'm better on the air than he is and I'm all of those characteristics.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I can't think of anyone working now for the WWL who I'd put in the MNF booth.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sean Mcdonough might be a good contrast with Gruden. Sean usually sounds bored at games and worried he's going to miss his flight. Gus Johnson anyone? I'm sure Fox wouldn't mind getting him off their books since their trying to shed payroll as well.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As a longtime Sox fan, I'm partial to McDonough. Yeah, he's not overly exciting, but a play by play guy isn't supposed to be. He at least has a semblance of a sense of humor, where the Tirico-Gruden booth only produced humor of the inadvertent sort. McDonough is already in house, so I'd put my money on him. It won't make big headlines, but short of Gus Johnson, what play by play guy would as a replacement for Tirico?

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I'm Dan Hicks.....I just suddenly became very nervous.
    NBC/Golf Channel spent a pile getting Feherty, and with getting The Open.....still having Ryder Cup....they're going after golf big time.....and having Uncle Dan sitting in the rafters doing his thing on radio and Sunday Night......
    Got very interesting today.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Give me Tirico over Nantzy everyday and twice on Sunday.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Does Tirico carry a picture of his preferred toast?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted