1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tires

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's pretty damn scary. Good luck.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I just bought four Mastercrafts for a Taurus for about 90 bucks apiece. I feel much better about my purchase now after reading this.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Care Bear, didn't know rental companies were still renting out Audi 5000s.

Moddy, it doesn't sound like a shocking number, though it depends on how much of a performance tire you're seeking for the Scion. The last two sets for my machine were around $600 for four, though I refuse to put crappy tires on it. It's built for maneuverability and handling and cheap tires negates those positives.

If there's a Firestone near you, give it a shot. Not always the cheapest, but usually the combination of price, quality of installation and the ability to have them rotate them on a regular basis make it a pretty good deal. Dealt with them in at least five different regions in four states and they've yet to fail (and some people think I'm some sort of gearhead, which is seriously funny). For a little extra, they'll back them so that even if a tire fails because of something driver-induced, they'll take care of it.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Sam, I know nothing about cars. What does that Audi reference mean? :)

And you pop up on these automotive threads with informed opinions ... have you heard of this gas pedal thing happening? My car is a 2006 Hyundai Tucson. Never, ever had an issue with it. So weird.

(sorry to threadjack)

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Moddy, at least you aren't ridin' dirty in the REALLY stupid looking Scion...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Around 1986 or so there were reports of unintended acceleration with the Audi, fueled in no small part by a story on "60 Minutes." Ended up being largely media hype, not unlike the Toyota deal a couple of years ago. Sales of Audis nosedived dramatically.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

CB, in the '80s, there was a major media sh_tstorm involving the Audi 5000, a very good sedan, and unintended acceleration. Largely a pile of crap, though it almost single-handedly killed Audi's sales numbers. Power of the media and all that happy, happy BS ...

Here's a pretty good piece on it for anyone interested:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/the-best-of-ttac-the-audi-5000-intended-unintended-acceleration-debacle/

As for the gas pedal, that's the first time I've heard of such a thing. The only thing that doesn't surprise me is that it was a Hyundai. The manufacturer has made leaps and bounds in quality control improvement. But I've long been one of the snobs that will argue that if it's an Asian vehicle, I strongly, strongly prefer Honda, Nissan or Toyota. Just too much strong build-quality history to overlook, though Hyundai has made big strides in the last few years.

(When the rumors came out about the Toyota Prius(es) with minds of their own, the references to the BS involving Audi 5000s came rushing to the minds of the automotive sorts. Good work on Toyota's part to fall on the sword and offer to extend the operating hours of service departments to fix all that supposedly ailed your Toyota. Audi couldn't overpower the "60 Minutes" BS report ... and Toyota probably realized it couldn't fight a losing fight no matter how correct it might have been.)

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Junkyards, people. Lots of good tires available for about $20 a pop.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Tires and Ties thread are one after the other. Worlds are colliding!

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You drive your kids around on junkyard tires?

11. I got a 99 Ford Ranger and a 2003 Ford Explorer ..
    Tires run $200-250 a pop for the truck and $230-$280 for the Explorer. I don't think I have ever paid less than $160 for a tire. They have always been expensive IMO. And I don't buy good tires. General brand or some other cheaper (35,000 mile) type, depending on what they stock. Anything but a Goodyear.

Like TP, I have to buy two at a time. Both vehicles need tires this winter. UGH.

Balance, align and rotate your tires religiously.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I actually haven't driven any kids in my car yet, but I've bought junkyard tires for 10 years and never had a problem. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted