1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tired of trying to please everyone else!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

It's been my experience in these situations that I am slightly overly passionate and the other party doesn't understand how important it is to me. Hence, they don't realize how pissed off they've made you. That's probably the situation with your McDonald's guy.

Another option is that there's a good explanation of which you have no knowledge. For example, Friend A was on his way to the shrimp boil when his girlfriend told him she's fucking his sister or he just can't afford the gas to drive to the beach. Sometimes, people are private about things.

Also, there are people who can make great friends but who are lousy when it comes to responsibility and living up to what they say they're going to do. Sometimes, they're true assholes and try to avoid you instead of simply giving you some lame excuse. I have a friend who has done this on occasion. He'll make plans and then call at the last minute with an excuse. I never know why he does this shit, but I don't let it bother me. I already know he's a jack ass. After all, he's friends with me.

Don't think it's a reflection on your friendship or on you. And don't let it frustrate you. Life's too short.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think you hit it on the head, Stallion. They are much younger than Mrs. tbf and I, and they aren't quite as responsible and considerate of others as I am.

My buddy told me the reason they didn't eat shrimp with us is that one of the girls is allergic to shellfish. I'm calling bullshit, but I'll take him at his word for it.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You buried the lead.

Large groups of people = large headaches.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I'm sorry you worked so hard to make a nice dinner for your friends and no one appreciated it.
    Maybe you should privately tell Mr. McDonald's that he really hurt your feelings...?

Also, if the girfriend really is allergic, then she should've spoke up and you could've made potatoes and corn separately for her.

I know how much work all this is, and how disappointing it can be when you try so hard and feel like it went unnoticed.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My rule is: If a friend bends over backwards in an effort to show me a good time, I don't gripe. If I don't like the food, I eat just enough to not offend. I might do a clandestine trip to Toxic Hell after the fact if I'm hungry, but I'm not going to say word one that's negative. I'm a very picky eater, but I'll survive unless the food literally makes me sick. Your "friends" are douchenozzles.

One of my friends with whom I rode the bus many years ago was telling me about a time she invited this kid who was a friend of one of her four sons. Turns out he was an only child who was at least as picky an eater as I am. Trouble is, the kid didn't have the adult filters that tell you not to bitch. He announced which foods he didn't like.

As the mother of a large family, she was like, "oh, you don't like that? Aw, too bad." The kid soon got the hint. She wasn't cooking especially for him.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I feel ya, dude. I know what it's like having my sister fucked in the ass at church.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Does behind the church count?

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

"It started in the vestibule; it ended in the hospital."

Draft saved Draft deleted