1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tired of trying to please everyone else!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jun 2, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thing is, both are. One of them is like my brother. We do everything together. Our families eat dinner together twice a week, at least.

The other, I've known for about a year -- and been everywhere with, even on a couple of weekend camping/hiking trips in the PNW. We've been skiing together all summer.

The three of us are together all the time -- we play on the same softball team, for christ's sake.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Can't wait 40 minutes for a seafood boil...runs to McD's for a burger? That's gotta be the definition of Summertime Fail.

BTW, that restaurant sounds cool...fuck em if they can't handle a down-home place.

3. three_bags_full

To credit the McDonald's guy, he is a pretty good sized dude who eats a lot. Not like a crazy workout, protein all the time, guy. Just eats a lot.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe too much togetherness?

That said, they acted like assholes. I hope for your sake there's not a next time.

5. three_bags_full

Could be. Our time together is winding down some. McDonald's guy is already in flight school; I start tomorrow; and the other guy in a month.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Would you say their behavior in this instance was an anomaly? Or is it something you're fed up with because of an accumulation of things?

I think sometimes people remain friends out of habit. If it's not a two-way street where they're actively being a friend to you, might be an occasion to reconsider.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wfw

8. three_bags_full

This was a first from McDonald's guy. The other guy has shown his immaturity a couple of times.

9. three_bags_full

McDonald's guy is a friend. If I needed a million bucks to get out of a jam with the mob, he'd go rob a bank or break legs for me. He helped take care of my wife while I was away this summer -- moving furniture, etc.

The other guy, maybe so. I don't know. We go to one another for advice from time to time. And tonight, he's helping me move a washer and dryer into the house in about an hour. He and I were two of 20 chosen by the Army to do what we're doing this year. We will be together for the next seven years. That's not a bridge I want to burn.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not a matter of burning bridges..maybe a matter of you saying "I like to do things for my firends" and after a while some friends -- who don't often reciprocate --seeing it as "TBF always has to be the one in control"

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Three bags,

It is possible that everyone's bad day came together at the same time. It is also possible that these people figure they are more important to you than you are to them. So what do they care what you think.

We have two couple that we hang around with a lot. After a couple of horrible vacations where no family really did what they wanted because everybody was always trying to make sure we all wanted to do the same thing, even when we didn't, we came up with a plan. Everyone would do what they wanted, if one of the other couples wanted to do that to, that was great, if not, have a great day, we'll see you when we get back. It worked out fine.

But, never overlook the possibility that people suck. :-\

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

shrimp boil, shrimp cocktail, shrimp salad ....

Draft saved Draft deleted