1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tired of trying to please everyone else!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jun 2, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this is going to sound like I'm a big crybaby. I may be. Tell me if I am.

I hosted a trip to the beach this weekend with a pretty large group. Did the normal stuff, I suppose. We went to a small, local seafood joint right on the water that we absolutely love, then headed to the beach and later bought some shrimp and such to cook for supper, instead of taking the kids out to an expensive restaurant.

Another group of my friends, staying at the same place, but on an unrelated (not with me, but some of the folks who came with me are friends with them, also) trip.

Everything went fairly well, except for them complaining about the restaurant we ate at for lunch. They didn't plainly say, "that place sucked," but they made a few jokes about it and the price. And the restaurant is neither expensive, nor bad. It's a dump, but it's insanely good -- at least we think so -- and it's ALWAYS packed. If you don't get there at 11 when they open, you'll wait for an hour just to order. It's a good joint, that's been there for 50 years.

Meanwhile, me being the nice guy I am, I ask the other group if they'd like to join us for the shrimp boil. What the hell? They're all my friends, too, and it would've been a cool party. So, Mrs. tbf and the girls head to the grocery store to buy some things we forgot, some sausage, butter, etc. Me and the guys head over to the seafood market and pick up the shrimp and crawfish. I call my buddy from the other group to tell him we're headed to get the seafood and ask him how much he wants. He answers the phone and tells me they're already gone somewhere else. The SOB didn't even bother to call me. Says he did, but didn't leave a message.

Then, just before supper, my best friend starts bitching about how hungry he is and complaining that supper won't be ready until the potatoes, corn and sausage boil and the shrimp cook -- 40 minutes, tops. Making jokes that a shrimp basket doesn't do it for him. He actually got in my car (I let him use it) and went to McDonald's for a burger. Supper went off OK, but I just couldn't get over how much bitching they all did, when all I was trying to do was show them a decent time.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened to me when trying to plan a good time. Me and some of my buddies spent a pretty hard time in an Army school back in late February, and I wanted to get everyone together, fire up the smoker and cook some ribs and chicken two Fridays after we finished. Just an unwind time. Get together and drink a few beers. It was like pulling fucking teeth. I practically had to track them all down to see if they were coming, and when I asked a few of them to bring a slab of ribs or a chicken, they acted like I was fucking their sisters. In the ass. At church. They bring me the food early so I can have it about ready when they get there. Cool. I cook, they eat. They leave. Stayed about 15 minutes after they ate. After all that work I did, those cocksuckers

I'll jump off my soapbox now, but it's a little more than discouraging when I go to so much trouble.

So, from now on, I'm done inviting folks anywhere. Fuck them. Me and Mrs. tbf can have a much better time alone.

Fuck. It makes me want to scream when I think about it.

/rant over

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, normally you do bitch a lot but this one seems like it's reasonable.

Sorry your friends are such douches.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

That's what you get for having friends.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is what Three Bags gets for not inviting his friends from sj.
    We might have bitched, but at least we would have brought beer.
    And I can say for damn sure that if I had been invited to a boil, I would have sucked it up and waited for the food, and not have driven my ass to McDonald's.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll give my friends the shirt off my back. All they have to do is ask. And don't fuck me.

I've always let folks run over me like this.

No mas.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's damn tough to be the Cruise Ship Director. All it takes is one "thank you" (and maybe a cold one!) to get me to keep doing it year after year with my group of buddies. If you're not getting that, screw 'em.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sorry. TBF that sounds like a really crappy way to treat a friend who's gonna cook for you, esp. someone who is as fantabulous a cook as you.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

All I know is if one of my "friends" wants to eat a goddamn McDonald's cheeseburger instead of some damn fine Lowcountry Boil ... fuck 'em, dawg. Oh, well, TBF. That's more shrimp boil for you and the missus.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Too bad you ain't coming to Seattle. We'd show you a good time.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

They don't sound like friends to me.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That sucks, tbf, and I'm sorry. I used to organize a beach trip for my friends -- rented the house, figured out who needed to bring what, etc. and if they had treated me the way you were treated, I would have been majorly pissed off/hurt. People are douchebags sometimes. It just sucks when your friends are.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself. So sayeth the great philosopher Rick Nelson.

Draft saved Draft deleted